Chapter II

Surrounded by a Dark Cloud

Have you ever felt so out of place, so uncongenial, that you create your own little world to thrive in? But knowing that if you live in your world of denial, the outside world won't stop burning, it does become futile to stay in your happy little bubble, with just a "pop!", your world can burn from the outside. It can be a good thing, if you are talking about a redhead or a blonde, but otherwise, never.

It was a gloomy afternoon day. Steve Rogers was in an old dusty gym, beating the ever loving shit out of the innocent punching bags, spreading sand everywhere.

He was now targeting his third bag. With every punch, he released his anger. Grunting and cursing vehemently, the bag was taking all the force, only a few moments before completely snapping.

The Hydra base.

He was running through a forest, dodging mortar shells, gunfire and Tesseract energy blasts.

He was in the Valkryie, flying into the cold ocean.

'There's not enough time! I gotta put her in the water!'

The punches become more aggressive.

His loving compass of Peggy Carter on the dash as the plane plummets towards the ice.

The walls are trembling.

'You won't be alone.'

Red Skull picked up the Tesseract and vanished on the spot.

'Oh my god!'

He is lying on a table, half frozen, and still partially trapped in a slab of ice. Two SHIELD scientists run equipment over him, checking for his vitals.

Something flickers . . .

'This guy is still alive!'

The bag went flying across the room with one swing snapping the metal chain and pummeling it back a dozen feet, sand spilling out from where he cracked the fabric. He stands up, breathing hard, and grabs another bag, resuming a more normal routine.

'Keep up with that, and you get yourself a nice little beach.'

Steve turned around to see a man in a long black coat with a somewhat amused look.

'Trouble sleeping?' asked Fury.

I slept for seventy years, sir,' said Steve flatly. 'I think I've had my fill.'

'Then you should be out,' said Fury. 'Celebrating, seeing the world.'

Steve stopped punching at once. He gave Fury a small frown and walked over to the bench, unraveling the tape off his hands. He sat down.

'I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won.' he looked down, tilting his head. 'They didn't say what we lost.'

Fury looked indifferent. 'We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently. '

Steve sighed. 'You here with a mission, sir?'