Chapter XII

Let's assume that in almost every scene she had her Russian accent. It will be specified if she doesn't.

A Time for Lies

Natasha Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna Romanova, was many people, has been many people, even died as multiple people, but she was certainly never a backstabber. Atleast never to S.H.I.E.L.D. Except for that one time, but she was innocent and falsely accused of treason. After the incident on the Lemurian Star, she learned her lesson; do not fuck around with Captain Steve Rogers. He would certainly bite you back.

She also got an earful from Steve, lasting about 2 minutes, which she mostly let out from the other ear but "Blind follower" had gotten her attention. She texted him "Sorry". Along with a couple of middle fingers after being left on read. He replied with a single "thanks".

She drov back to her apartment, shared with Maria Hill. No one really knew why they were still roommates. They just never bothered moving out.

Natasha parked her bike and dialed Maria's number.

'We still have peanut butter?' asked Natasha as she climbed up the stairs.

'Yeah, it's in the fridge. Nat, listen . . . '

'It's alright. You got your work thing, I got my cheese whiz and whiskey. Tell Fury I said hi.'

'I'll try to get home early.'

'See ya.' She hung up.

Natasha took out her keys and unlocked her door. It was a roomy living room, with red, white, beige and black being the dominant colours. She put her keys inside the Pink Panther pen holder she bought as a joke. She plonked down on the sofa, drowning the last few drops of whiskey, turned on the TV and watched as a monkey swung around branches with his prehensile tail.

She gave a weak chuckle when the banana had slipped out from his little hands, otherwise she remained quiet. She turned off the TV and stretched her arms, groaning loudly. She got up to go to bed.

She brushed her teeth, changed into a tank top and shorts, charged her phone, laid down and closed her eyes.

Her phone suddenly rang.

'Fury's been shot! We're at the hospital besides Steve's apartment!' Maria hung up.

Natasha jumped up, put on the same pants she had thrown on the floor, picked up a jacket lying on the bed, choose to use her car keys, and dashed out.

She drove at full-speed, more than likely earning 20 speeding tickets, but she didn't care. The man who took her under his wing, was running out of time. She stopped, parked her car and ran into the hospital. A policeman tried to stop her.

'Out of the way!' She pushed past and slammed on the door. She saw Steve, dishevelled and beaten. Looked like he'd been in a fight. She saw his surgery through the glass panel. It didn't look like it was going well.

'Is he gonna make it?'

'I don't know.'

Something snapped inside her. 'Tell me about the shooter.'