Part 3, The Ravine

Pic of the little ravine Jake falls into :l

I woke up hours later, the sun starting to set in the distance. It was late afternoon, and cold. Very cold. All the trees around me had lost their leaves and the small stream was mostly frozen. In one way I was happy. I'd finally be free! On the other this was awful, I was alone, no food, no water, no shelter, and my body ached from both the silver and the forced pack connection break.

I groaned as I rolled over, my lithe body stretching like some broken machine. (Currently he's lying on the left side of the picture above.) Once I was finally on my feet I looked around to see a small bag they'd left. I pawed it open and stuck my head inside to see what they'd left me. My nose bumped into the fabric and I pulled it out, realizing it was a shirt. For my human form.

I groaned and then felt the leaves crumple beneath me as I laid down to shift. With in a few seconds excruciating pain lit up my spine. All of the bones seemed to disconnect and then spread, popping and rearranging inside me. I bit my lip trying not to scream from it. Finally a few minutes later they settled and I was able to unbind myself from my fetal position.

Shuddering I pulled the black T-shirt over my kneeling form. Then the tiny boxers, and the sweatpants. They were all old and worn but I was surprised they'd left me with anything.

Wondering if they had truly left me shook off the dirt that had gathered and glanced up. Ready to take on the challenge I took a wavering step, slowly I took a second one, just focusing on taking another one foot at a time.

After minutes of struggling I got to the top. Edging over to see... Nothing. There was nothing, not even a road. Just miles and miles of trees. They had truly abandoned me. I sighed and then lowered myself, curling into a little ball.

I awoke to see what seemed to be the early hours of the morning, the sky was mostly overcast, and a few little rays of sun came through. I gave a yawn and stretched, raising my bum in the air. I was still at the top, overlooking the ravine, and upon closer inspection I realized that I was extremely thirsty. Looking down I saw a little spot where the water wasn't frozen, I did a mental fist pump and started to make my way down.

I took one step and it all went downhill. Literally. My foot just so happened to land on a pile of leaves, and the second I put my weight on it, it slipped and I lost my balance. I spiraled like some snowball and fell down the hill in a tumble of arms and legs.

I landed at the bottom and started shaking, all my back wounds were open and bleeding profusely. But that's not why I was shaking. Right on the other side staring at me was a wolf.

And not the shifter kind. A pure wild wolf.

I backed up slowly, trying to come across as anything but an enemy. Not that I was much of one. In my human form I was 4,1 thin and small. I had short raven hair, emerald eyes and a little six pack. I knew I was lean and being starved doesn't exactly help. I could see my rib cage when I wasn't breathing and when I turned I could see my spine. That was all of course due to getting close to no food, making me the amazing weight of forty five pounds.

The wolf growled and that's when I ran. I straight up turned and booked it. I heard it growl and then jump over the creek, its paws thudding heavily on the ground. My own bare feet thudded too, racing down the side of the stream. I kicked up the water and dust behind me, hoping that would in some way slow him down.

My legs were still pumping hard but I had no idea how much longer I could go on for, I was fast but I had basically no energy. I continued down ravine, trying to come up with a way to escape. I was getting closer to the mountains and the trees gradually got thicker and thicker.