Round One

The Prompt: 

The character finds a treasure map in the garden and decides to go on an adventure. They pack their things and start the journey on foot. (300 - 1,000 words).

Describe the scene as they leave home, have them say goodbye to their family/whoever they live with. Show them packing their things. They must walk for several hours so make sure to describe the walk from their house to the forest. Don't forget to show what your character has packed in their bag.

Include a description of your character within the scene without an info dump or the character describing themselves in the mirror.

Tags: 

ShutUpAndWriteClub

JABrownOfficial

orchidals

My Submission:

"I'm telling you, Mateo, treasure maps aren't real." Orran sits cross-legged on his bed, red eyes following me around our room as he repeats his words of doubt, yet again.

I actively ignore him and continue packing. There's some truth to his words. I'm not usually one to go chasing after something that is so unknown, but at this point, I'm ready to trust in something that could potentially get us out of this place.

I pick up a pair of trousers from under my bed and give them a sniff. I shrug as I stand back straight and shove the pants in my bag. These pants are practically shredded, which is why I had thrown them under the bed, but if something happens to my current pair while I'm out, I'll be grateful to have a backup. Even if I came upon clotheslines out there, I've almost never been able to find pants that cover my spider legs.

I blow upwards with my lower lip to remove a brunette curl from my face as I take another check of the room. We don't have much and of the little we do have, I've already grabbed most of it. I currently have some rope, a crowbar, my flint and steel, five helpings of smoked rabbit, and now a change of trousers. Is there anything else we can afford for me to take?

My gaze falls on Orran and I realize that he is no longer defiantly sitting with his arms crossed and nose scrunched in disapproval. Now his head hangs low as he looks down at a black leather sheathed dagger, twisting the tip on his index finger.

That dagger is the only thing I have left to remember my father. Since Orran and I decided to survive the streets together, we have shared it as a means for survival. I can't believe I almost forgot it.

I smile and take a step toward Orran. "I was wondering where that is." I hesitate before continuing forward. I shouldn't just assume that I'm going to take it. It's just as dangerous in the alleyways of the city as it is in the thick of the forest.

I sigh and step forward again. I sit on my bed across from him. "Keep it."

Orran looks up at me, his eyes shifting from the red hue of anger to the deep blue shade of sadness. Even though Orran and I somewhat resemble brothers with our wide noses, it's only unfortunate occasions like this that we actually share the same eye color.

He clears his throat and becomes very interested in the blank wall to his left as he stands, throwing the dagger in my lap. "Three days, brother...then I take all your stuff." He rolls his shoulders and pulls aside the cloth covering our doorway before leaving without giving me a chance to respond.

I know better than to chase him. Another trait we share is our iron-willed stubbornness. That's why I'm going even though he doesn't think I should. That's why he's not coming with me. I'm pretty sure that's why he gave me the dagger.

"I won't let you down, Orran," I whisper aloud to myself.

I step into the outside world, letting the cloth settle behind me. I look up at the red sun, halfway through its cycle to the orange sun. I'm leaving later than I planned. I need to make haste.

I expertly dash through the dark grey cobblestone streets, traveling the paths I have taken time and time again. I keep my perception keen of threats, which unfortunately brings my attention to the dilapidated homes and downtrodden people. I have to cling to this hope so I can not only help myself, but also serve them. We all deserve better.

My pace slows as I approach the unfamiliar territory. The edge of the city. This portion of the restrictive walls is still torn down from the siege. Rocks litter the road and the grassy earth beyond, collecting moss through the years of neglect. The nobles were quick to repair the Northern half of the city with their fancy shops and theaters, but they suddenly ran out of money when it came to closing the gaping wound in the city's Southern defenses.

My feet sink slightly in the loose, damp earth as I step outside the city. I swallow slightly as a brief moment of unease hits my stomach. I haven't spent much time in the forest. Orran usually does the hunting while I do the bargaining. I know how to defend myself against a man driven to violence due to hunger and fatigue, but it's different out here. Beasts and monsters are much more unpredictable than man.

I pull the map from my bag and review the contents. It was drawn in a hurry, the handwriting barely legible. The large, disproportionate circle obviously represents the city and I'm assuming the chaotic squiggling curls represent the forest. To the Southwest, the trees are filled in darker. I've never been that far into the forest so I don't know what it represents, but at least I now have a direction.

The further I travel into the dense foliage, the more my fears are replaced with awe. It seems like each tree is competing with the others to reach toward the sun. Their branches interweave, leaving only slivers of sunshine to touch my skin, and yet it feels so open and free. There's no clear path so I can travel any way I wish. There are no restrictions. The only law this forest follows is the law of nature.

I watch a small brown creature dart across a branch and leap into the air, landing expertly on the outstretched arm of another tree. I see the flutter of a red bird with a yellow belly, startled by my presence in its naturalistic paradise.

A thick bush covered with plump, purple berries protrudes into my path. I reach forward to partake of the luscious fruit, but I stop myself. This very act brings my head back into focus. I'm not out here for a pleasant stroll. I have a mission and, more importantly, a time limit.

I pull the map from my bag again and peer through the trees, trying to see the sun so I can determine my direction. I find a space between the leaves big enough to realize that I'm heading in the wrong direction. I shake my head with disbelief and relief. I'm glad I recognized my mistake before I got too much farther.

I turn to put the map back in my bag when I spot an unusual drawing on the page. It doesn't seem to be part of the map. It's a separately drawn image of a flower. Unlike the rest of the crudely hashed strokes, this flower looks like it was crafted with precision and skill.

My grip tightens and the fragile map crinkles in my hand as I think of this morning. I'm tired of flocking like buzzards whenever a fellow urchin dies.

Tephin was a close friend. He was old enough to be my grandfather, but what he lacked in physical prowess, he more than compensated with his wit. The "rules'' state that if someone doesn't come back after three days then they're dead. Everything they owned is free for the taking. Even as Orran and I were actively grabbing some of the leftover belongings, I could barely believe that Tephin was gone. This treasure map I found in his garden is just enough proof for me to follow my gut.

I take a deep breath and start sprinting through the forest. I feel the sting as blurs of wood slap my face and arms. I try to keep my trajectory straight, only veering right or left if a tree stands in my path, which is often.

I trust you, Tephin. I believe you found a treasure that will release our people from poverty. I'm coming to help you. I'll be there soon.