Round One

Prompt:

Your character is on a bus going somewhere they haven't been before.

The element you must add is that it must be written in the first person and use descriptive words to show the scene. Think about the sights, smells, and sounds as your character enjoys or perhaps doesn't enjoy their bus journey.

The word count expected is between 500 and 1,500 words.

Rules

• Stick to the first person throughout the scene

• Be as descriptive as you can so your readers can visualize your scene

• Try and edit your scene the best you can

• One character only for the pov. 

Entry:

"Behold my latest invention." Illiana removes her hands that were covering my eyes. "The Bus!"

I open my eyes to see an unusual, large hunk of yellow metal that has been bent into a box. Occasional squares are cut into the box, revealing the hollow interior occupied with regular wooden benches that are bolted into the metal floor. Separate from all the benches, there is a wooden chair with a...wheel in front of it? I double-check to make sure there are also wheels on the outside. Thankfully yes, it has four wheels, like a regular wagon, but the wheels are covered with strange black material. There are no attached animals, though I doubt any animal could haul something so heavy, and I wonder how this contraption can move.

As I continue to stare at this "Bus" and make an active effort to keep my face straight. I'm painfully aware that Illiana is watching and waiting for my reaction and I don't want to give the wrong one.

Emotions swim around my head like fish darting in a pond. I am impressed that Illiana was able to imagine this and bring it into existence, I am curious to see how it works and how it will change our society, and I am doubtful that it will work. That last emotion is not one that she will see.

"This is amazing!" I step forward and place my hand on the metal, but quickly retract it. The heat lingers on my palm.

"Thanks!" Illiana beams. "Wanna take a ride?"

I don't allow myself to show any hesitation. "Of course!"

"Yes!" She steps up to a large square in the metal that is covered by a glass door. The glass swings precariously as she grips the handle to give herself entrance.

I swallow nervously, the sound of my own saliva flooding my ears. I gently caress my palm as I cautiously make my way forward. If the outside burns, how will the inside feel? There is wood touching the metal; what if it starts burning?

I shake my head and gently step onto the Bus.

I feel as though I am in the communal baths, but rather than an open courtyard, we're in a metal box. It's definitely warmer in here than outside. Perspiration collects on my forehead and a droplet slides down my face, tracing my features with humidity. Forget the wood-burning, I'm going to boil in my own flesh.

I feel my breaths become shallow as an indescribable pressure weighs on my chest.

I quickly take a seat at the bench closest to the door and slap a smile on my face just in time for Illiana to turn around.

"You ready," she asks between pearly whites.

I give her a thumbs up. "Ready as I'll ever be!"

She turns to face a very large square cut into the metal. This square is also covered by glass, but it doesn't look like this glass can open and close, thankfully. She reaches forward and presses down on a large red button that I didn't see before.

Immediately the Bus begins shaking wildly and a roaring grind fills my ears. My hands fly to the seat of the bench, clenching to the wood so tightly that the grains dig into my flesh. The smell of burning coal sneaks into my nose and I squeeze my eyes shut. I feel like I'm standing at a mountain, watching an avalanche fall on top of me and I'm just letting it happen. Somehow, over all the noise, I hear the thump of my own heart trying to break its way out of my chest and leap out of the vehicle.

As quickly as it started, it stops.

"Mateo?"

I open my eyes to see Illiana's wide green irises staring back at me.

"Are you okay?"

It is at that moment that I realize that when she turned on the Bus, my lungs had involuntarily emitted a yelp. Somehow she heard it.

I clear my throat. "Yeah, I'm fine." My voice comes out in a deeper tone than I usually carry.

She raises an eyebrow. "You sure?"

I nod too quickly.

"Okay." She chuckles. "I promise you'll be safe. It's not too far. We'll be there before you know it."