twelve

tuesday
7:34

the bus drove through the city on your way to school. a growing dread filled your stomach the closer you got. for once, you were drained. you wished for a break. you liked to believe one would be well deserved, but assignments were flowing in left and right. imagine the number of angry customers you'd have.

you were your own boss though. you made the rules. if you needed a break, you could just take it, right? you never usually allowed yourself to take a break, but today, you really couldn't pass it up.

you made a post on your instagram story. the second it went up, you sighed of relief. it was really for the best.

y/n
Hey

bokuto
HIII😁

y/n
Are you busy after your
practice today? I'm taking the day
off so I guess we can hang out.🙂

bokuto
i actually have a practice
match today so it might
run a little longer than usual
you can come watch
if you want though😉

y/n
Will it be boring?

bokuto
im playing so no😌

y/n
If you're just being egotistical
I'll be extremely
disappointed.😑

bokuto
HEY IM ONE OF THE
TOP 5 ACES IN JAPAN
I HAVE EVERY RIGHT
TO BE EGOISTICAL😤

y/n
egotistical**
Anyways. Do you wanna do
anything after that? Food maybe?

bokuto
YES
there's a good ramen
place near the school

y/n
If you win it's my treat.

bokuto
wasn't planning on losing
but now i have another
thing to look forward to😏
OH ALSO CAN YOU
INVITE KANA

y/n
You know her?

bokuto
no but i know our pal konoha totally has a thing for her😏😏

y/n
That's convenient.

bokuto
what is🥳

y/n
Nothing.
She'll be there.

bokuto
AMAZING ILL CYA LATER K?😁❤️

y/n
Alright. Cya.

bokuto
i want a heart
gimme a heart or ill spam you 😕

y/n
Don't.

bokuto
heart? 🥺🤲

y/n
There. ❤️

bokuto
YES
BYE BYE👋🥰

          you sat alone in the school gym, waiting impatiently for kana to show up. there were a lot more people than you expected, many of them were girls. a number of them were cheering for bokuto. an odd feeling swelled in your chest. you couldn't define it, but knew you didn't enjoy it.

          kana showed up shortly after. you made small talk for a while, waiting for the action to start. eventually, the other team showed up. judging by their red and black uniforms, they must've been from nekoma. the teams seemed familiar with each other. bokuto greeted the team's captain warmly. akaashi, who you could recognize from your one "encounter", was chatting with their shorter number 5.

          the game kicked off strong, the other team having the first serve. the libero on fukurodani's team received the powerful serve well, putting it in a good spot for akaashi to set from. the ball looked like it was headed straight to the tall number 12, but flew right by. it even fooled the other team's blockers. the ball stopped midair, almost waiting to be hit. bokuto jumped and spiked the ball onto the other side of the court. you thought you'd seen bokuto at his worst, but playing volleyball, he was somehow even more enthusiastic than ever.

          fukurodani took the first set, 25-20. the second didn't move as smoothly. nekoma's captain, whatever his name was, was starting to get on bokuto's nerves. spike after spike, he was always there to stop him. the second set ended in a loss, 27-25.

          the final set was all that mattered now. the sweaty boys had one more chance to sway the match for their teams. bokuto and konoha still seemed a bit upset from the last set. those two were the ones having most of their spikes blocked. akaashi pulled them to the side to tell them something. whatever it was, it must've whipped them back into shape, because they looked more determined than ever.

          they started playing again. another one of akaashi's sets went to bokuto. nekoma's captain and their tall number 11 were waiting for him, though. there was no way he could get past it. he prepared to spike it, but at the last second, every ounce of power disappeared. the ball lightly bounced over the blockers and landed on the ground.

          the team cheered, slapping bokuto's back. you could hear him showering himself in praise from your seat. a small smile grew on your face.

          that point frustrated nekoma's captain. the look in his eyes read that he wouldn't let bokuto trick him again. the game was tied up once they reached the twenties. konoha and bokuto were on fire, they had been avoiding many of nekoma's blocks. the only person in their way was nekoma's libero. almost every ball sent over to their side was received.

          it was 24- 22 by the time fukurodani got to set point. the ball went to akaashi again, meaning it was up to him to decide who would best be able to win the match for them. the ball was headed for bokuto. he jumped up, only to be followed by the blockers. the libero was waiting in the only visible opening. there was nowhere to go.

          bokuto turned his body mid-air and sent the ball veering to the side. the ball slammed onto the floor, flying past the blockers. if you remembered correctly, that was called a cross-shot. with that point, he ended the game.

          you and kana left the stands to meet the boys on the court.

          "(L/n)! (L/n)! did you enjoy the match? i did pretty awesome didn't i?" bokuto called out as you and kana came down.

          "i was a bit better than expected," you said, a bit defeated.

          "i knew you'd have fun!" he cheered. "i think you owe me some ramen."

          you sighed, remembering your little promise. waving goodbye to kana and the rest of the team, the two of you left the gym. bokuto didn't waste a second to start relaying the match. you did nothing but listen.

he never failed to impress.