sixteen

saturday 14:56

the game was just about to begin. the stadium was completely packed, you couldn't spot an empty seat if you tried. you and kana sat in the front row, right behind the railings. you were distractedly scrolling through your old texts as the commentator began announcing the starting players for the teams. kana aggressively tapped your shoulder, even though your full attention was on the game.

the players ran onto the court one by one, high-fiving their coaches and managers on their way. the crowd cheered as the familiar faces walked over to their positions. you waited to hear number four get called. when it did, the stadium erupted with noise.

bokuto ran out onto the court, waving at the people in the stands. you felt so small compared to everything else in the room. you were one in a sea of people, almost invisible.

he joined akaashi, giving him an enthusiastic pat on the back. akaashi had his normal impassive expression on as he pointed behind him. bokuto's eyes seemed to sparkle even more at whatever his underclassman said. his gaze trailed from his friend up to the stands. they scanned frantically, making you shift in your seat. was he looking for you? if he wasn't, it'd be pretty embarrassing if you waved at him.

akaashi already found you. he gave you and short smile and a wave before turning back to bokuto. he pointed back at you before leaving
to go speak with his other teammates. bokuto's eyes returned to the crowd, but they quickly met yours.

he was on a new level of excitement when he found you. from the court, he waved vigorously at you. the attention flustered you. you knew most of the people wouldn't know he was waving at you, but the idea that some of them could just stressed you out. it made you feel like you were the only person in his world. the only person that mattered right now. you leaned closer to the railings, giving bokuto a small wave and a smile.

he pointed at you and then crossed his fingers, making a small heart.

~~~
for reference:

~~~for reference:

~~~

oh my god.

your head sunk down, hiding your bright red cheeks. you could hear kana laugh at you over the crowd's ruckus. you looked back to the court. bokuto's smile faded but when you met his eyes again, it returned. you hid your face with one hand, using your other to return the heart.
bokuto gave you a peace sign before turning off to join his team. you slid down in your seat, making an incomprehensible series of noises.

"'i'm not in love with him!'" kana mocked you. you slapped her leg and turned away, arms crossed.

"i wasn't!" you protested. "but now..."

"you're totally obsessed with him," she said in a dismissive manner.

"you're just mad konoha didn't give you a heart!"

you teased until the game began.

~~~

17:58

the games were over before you knew it, they won all of their matches 2-0, meaning they were headed straight to the semifinals.

midway through the games, your mom sent you a text.

mom❤️
Hope you're having fun at the game!
I need your help setting up another project tomorrow, we're going to be severely understaffed.

y/n
That's fine. I'll do whatever I can.

mom❤️
Best kid ever!🥇

y/n
I'm flattered.

i guess you won't be watching the finals tomorrow...what a great mood killer.

as the day ended, you and kana left your spot in the audience to go congratulate the boys. you tunneled through the gymnasium's crowded lobby in search of them. it was probably best not to move around too much, you'd be easier to find that way.

a minute of waiting passed when you heard kana shriek. she skipped over to konoha, praising him for his work during the game. you sighed and slowly trudged over knowing bokuto would come barreling in shortly behind. soon enough, he did.

"(L/n)!" he shouted as he turned the corner. he tackled you into a hug, taking you by surprise.

"hi," you reluctantly said before returning the hug.

"we did so awesome today! i knew we had nothing to worry about." you hummed in response as he pulled away from the hug. you gave him a quick smile as his glistening eyes met yours. he squinted at you and tilted his head.

"are you okay?" he asked. you raised an eyebrow at him. he poked your nose, setting your cheeks on fire. "you look a little more apathetic than normal."

"about that," you lightly chuckled. a sad smile grew slowly on your face. "i can't come watch you play tomorrow. my mom needs help."

you could see the shimmer in his eyes fade a bit. you didn't want to ruin his high spirits, but not telling him would probably be more of a disappointment.

"watch it live then," he said, giving you a smile. he ruffled your hair and wrapped an arm around your shoulder, walking the two of you towards the door where the rest of the team was convening. kana suggested you all eat dinner together.

you all left, taking a walk to a nearby ramen shop. bokuto kept his arm around you the whole time, relaying some of his best moments during the games. you just watched the cute expressions he made as he talked. you'd flush whenever his eyes lingered on you for a little longer. it made you realize that denying this fact any longer would be a waste of time and energy:

you're in love.