6 | maybe be my baby

"MAYBE be my baby," Kayden smirked at me making me hold back my laughter. I didn't want to attract attention to us in the small milkshake store but I couldn't help it. It was a good thing that it was almost near closing time and that in our small town, almost everyone was asleep by 11 so they were eating dinner by 6. 

Kayden and I are one of the only exceptions.

It's almost 6:15

I think back to his response. Maybe be my baby. 

Oh my god, how did he think of that?

He looked at me with an accomplished look and I grinned back at him.

"You're so stupid," I chuckled, watching as he took a sip from his almost half-finished Oreo milkshake. 

"Hey! A rhyme is a rhyme, now it's your turn," He tells me mischievously. I sit there, trying to think of a word that would rhyme with baby, and then it hits me.

"Uh...baby, they are eighty," I say sheepishly making him rack his brain for a rhyme for eighty.

This game was ridiculous but so funny sometimes. 

Despite having a good time playing the game, I freaked out every time anyone walked into the restaurant. I pulled on my baseball hat, making sure it was obstructing people's view of my face.

The last thing I wanted was for one of them to recognize me and embarrass me publicly.

And in front of him.

I nervously sipped on my chocolate swirl milkshake as I waited for Kayden to think of a rhyme. I watch as he breaks, the irritation building.

"Ugh this game is stupid," He whines. "What the fuck rhymes with eighty?" he groans making me raise a brow at him.

"Weighty? dainty? lady? Katie?" I offered, causing him to glare at me.

"Whatever, let's play 20 questions," he offers instead. I look at him with wide eyes.

"Nope, not doing that," I say as I take another sip of my milkshake, loving the comforting chocolatey taste. Kayden had great taste in beverages and restaurants in general because The Milkshake Shack was the best milkshake place in town. I hadn't been here in a while but I totally understood what I was missing.

"Why," He whined after my refusal. I rolled my eyes. "it's not like I'm going to ask you why you're dressed like you tryna hide from the paparazzi."

"Because I don't want to answer your stupid questions, god knows how nosy you are," I tell him making him roll his eyes.

"I wasn't planning on asking stupid or nosy questions. Just simple questions to get to know you better," He says casually but that causes my stomach to churn.

Uh, maybe I'm lactose intolerant?

Or maybe what he said felt too much.

"Why do you want to get to know me?" I muttered lowly as I gripped the cold glass cup in my hands. I was still mad at him for paying for my drink. I was perfectly capable of paying for my own. 

I look at him in front of me in the booth. He looked so carefree and relaxed.

Why was I not allowed to be like that?

"Because you're interesting," He says simply.

"Interestingly boring?" I correct him and he rolls his eyes.

I genuinely didn't know why he enjoyed my company. I didn't see myself as anyone too interesting

"Fine, if you don't want to answer a question just say skip and I will just ask a new one," he tries to make me agree. I look at his face. His hair looking so soft and curlier than usual. His eyes were reflecting the light from the window that allowed the sunset to tint his usually bright green hue.