7 | old love

MY WORLD froze as Tyra held my eyes with a shocked expression mixed with pure disbelief on her face as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. Her eyes looked so familiar as they looked into mine. It was like I was a kid again. Even from the 10-meter distance between us, I could see her dark brown eyes searching mine; for something, anything.

It is when a blonde girl puts her hand on Tyra's shoulders that she breaks our stare. My heart completely breaks when Tyra laughs throwing her head back when "Josh" complains from the floor about his murdered milkshake.

It was as if she never saw me.

I felt like running away or evaporating, but then I caught Kayden's gentle eyes on me, assessing the situation from what he could see.

"It's going to be alright, Carino," he mutters as if he understood. At that moment, his comforting hands meeting mine in the middle of our table meant everything to me. It was as if his warm touch was the only thing keeping me back from breaking.

But, i wanted to pull away. I just wanted to go home.

He takes my hand and helps me up, stupid as always, I make the mistake of looking back at Tyra, my eyes shining with unshed tears and betrayal.

The moment she left me came back, clear as day; punching back harder than it did even back then.

That time she was forced to, this time she chose to.

It made all the difference.

"Kayden," my voice cracked, and he just held my hand tighter, fingertips gently brushing over my knuckles.

How had we gotten here?

How did I go from playing in the playground, surrounded by friends and loved ones, to breaking apart at a Milkshake bar with a boy who barely knew me but knew me more than they ever did?

How did I get here?

I look up at Kayden through my lashes to see him staring ahead with a hard expression, his eyes burning holes through Tyra's skull. He leads us past the group, and Tyra doesn't even try to hide the fact that she was watching us with a gaping, shocked, and slightly apologetic expression.

I watch as her blonde girl friend looks over at Kayden and me with a curious expression. Her eyes zoned into our held hands, then my teary eyes before looking back over at Tyra-fucking-Collins. Both of their eyes done leave us until we are outside the stupid restaurant.

When we got out, I could finally breathe, the fresh, cool air allowing my mind to think.

Before anything, Kayden pulls me close to his chest, shielding me from the world as if also apologizing for what I had seen.

And that's when I broke down.

In Kayden's arms.

☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆

"Thank you, Kayden," my grandfather says, giving Kayden a small smile before guiding me inside the house. I sniffled, unable to control the hurt I was feeling.

Usually, I was better than this. It was humiliating that I was letting my emotions get the best of me; this normally never happened.

I turn around to see Kayden's concerned eyes from outside my doorstep, and I pass him an apologetic expression.

"I'm going to go check the broth," my grandfather announces slightly awkwardly. He gives me a look before rushing away into the kitchen.

"Layla..." Kayden starts, looking at me. I inhaled deeply, riddled with guilt for having him to see me like that.