8 | exiled

I WAS always someone who loved routine, rules, and boundaries. It helped me know exactly what to expect and despite how boring that seems to some, it has always helped keep my sanity.

"Okay, so on Wednesday I'm going back to Marie's to help with her garden... Thursday I need to go get a blood test done early in the morning...and before you ask, no, Layla, I'm not dying and my blood pressure is consistent," my grandfather said rolling his eyes. I glared at him.

"Thomas Fraser, I hope you aren't taking your health lightly," I warned him considering he was really bending his back over and through to help my Aunt with her yard. I was a little disappointed that she wasn't refusing his help and rather accepting it but I knew my grandfather would have shown up at her doorstep with his trusty shovel to help anyway.

Always a helping hand.

"I wouldn't dream of it," he says sarcastically and I smile at him.

As long as he was taking care of himself I wasn't going to get in the way of what he liked to do.

"Great," I nodded. He smiled at me before continuing to tell me the week's schedule.

"Friday we have dinner at Marie's house with Gloria and Kayden. Gloria is bringing some Samosas while Aunt Marie is ordering take-out. I had to force her. Anyways, I told them that you would make your delicious cake again," my grandfather tells me and I immediately grin at him.

"So did you try it the last time I made it?"

"Yes, when I went inside Marie gave all of us some of your cake. It was absolutely scrumptious, Layla. It tasted just like your grandmother's," a soft smile setting upon his aged face. I smiled back.

"I want to try it with you around but Marie told me you were out with Kayden," my grandfather said and I caught the teasing undertone. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, that was long ago. He was following me around, and we had gone back to The Edge," I tell him and he nods.

"Yesterday I saw you sneaking out. I assumed you were heading back there so I didn't say anything," my grandfather tells me while shooting me a look. I look away embarrassed. "I was trying to open up my window to let in my fresh air; imagine my surprise when I saw my granddaughter running towards the forest."

Well then.

"It's fine, Layla, you're in your own house there is no need to jump in and out your own window like a creep," he laughs and I roll my eyes.

"Let me live a little, Thomas,"

"Yes, yes. You do you, Layla. I'm glad you having fun with Kayden," he chuckled.

"I didn't expect to get along with him, but surprise! He isn't that bad."

My grandfather smiles at me before taking a seat on the sofa in front of me, no longer leaning against the wall outside the living room.

"Gloria and Kayden don't look like our typical town folks but we don't judge," he scolds me lightly.

"We should be the last to even do that considering..." he trails off, not even wanting to mention the incident. I rolled my eyes but I couldn't stop the pang of hurt I felt. He needed to stop bringing them up.

"Anyways, what did you guys do by The Edge? Talk about Tyra Collins?" He inquired and I blushed and he immediately raised a brow. I immediately rush to defend myself.

"Absolutely nothing happened in that way! Kayden taught me how to do some basic basketball moves and stuff and he wanted to make sure I was alright. Nothing like what you're thinking happened."