12 | see you through my tears

"OH LAYLA, Is that you!?" My aunt yells from the kitchen once she hears the front door open and close. I inhale deeply, still shaken from my conversation with Kayden's mother.

"Yes, it's me!" I yell back as I walk towards the kitchen. 

"Hurry, hurry! The tea is almost done!" She ushers me with a slightly annoyed undertone. I quickly speedwalk with the sugar bag. I hand it to her and she quickly takes it, grabbing the scissors to cut open the bag. "Oh, Layla. What took so long?" She asks me, looking at me peeved.

"I-" I started before clearing my throat as I heard the slight rasp. "I was talking to Gloria."

"Very sweet woman isn't she?" My Aunt tells me as her eyes snap over to mine. "You've seen the insides of her house right? She invited me over once on the day she moved in, it's a very beautiful home," she says looking over at me and I nod.

"It's perfect, to be honest. Is she an interior designer or something? Because the house is perfect country style house," I ask her as I watch her add the sugar into tea.  

"She is a chartered accountant apparently. I even told her that she should be an interior designer since she seems to have the knack for it."

"I can't believe Kayden lives there though. It doesn't seem like the type of place he would live in," I say thinking out loud. 

"I know but maybe it will grow on you eventually..." My aunt trails before looking at me for a split second. "I have a theory or whatever," She tells me and I look at her with intrigue. 

"It's not much of a theory but... I think that Gloria bought new furniture for her house. Everything in there has to be new. She told me she came from the city and I've seen enough movies to know city homes look nothing like hers. I'm thinking that she put her old furniture in a storage unit or she kept her old house," My aunt confides as she puts the sugar inside the tea, stirring the brew slowly.  

"It's not really that serious, she can do whatever she wants but I'm just saying; she's rich. So, so, rich so why did she decide to move here from all places?" My aunt Marie thinks out loud, voicing her thoughts.

I thought the same.

Why did Kayden and Gloria move to our small town?

☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆

"Bye, Aunt Marie! Bye, Richard!" I yelled into the house to see my Aunt come out to the main hall with her apron on. She blows me a big kiss and I grin at her before grabbing my backpack and baseball hat and putting on my shoes.

"Bye, Chippie!" Uncle Richard yells from the living room, using the ridiculous nickname he had for me. I rolled my eyes despite knowing he couldn't see me.

"Bye!" I shout as I walk out the door, closing the door softly behind me. I take the time to readjust my baseball hat before walking toward the sidewalk. I look up into the sky seeing the afternoon sun pounding down on me. I groan, hating that I chose to wear a thick sweater but then I calm myself down remembering that I wore it so that people wouldn't recognize me.

Kayden must be coming back from school. 

That thought makes me inwardly smile. I can tell him about the events of today, and maybe even show him a few new constellations by The Edge. Maybe I was getting better at this whole 'friends' thing.

Suddenly, as I'm walking I hear some loud voices echo from in front of me. I look up to see a group of teenage guys casually strolling in the middle of the road.