Chapter Three

We didn't talk much during the remainder of the journey. When Harry woke up, he seemed slightly embarrassed that he'd passed out. We assured him it was nothing to be ashamed about, but he kept his head down for a while.

At long last, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station, and there was a great scramble to get outside; owls hooted, cats meowed, and Jab shouted at everyone to shut up. It was freezing on the tiny platform; rain was driving down in icy sheets.

"Firs' years this way!" called a gruff voice. We turned and saw a large man at the other end of the platform, beckoning the terrified-looking new students forward for their traditional journey across the lake.

"I think I have to go with them," I mumbled.

"See you at the Sorting," Hermione said encouragingly.

"All right, you three?" the large yelled over the heads of the crowd. My friends waved at him and left.

"Uh, hi, I'm new," I told the giant man. "Is this the right place, or..."

"Yer Aisling McKeon?" The man asked, and when I nodded, said, "Professor Lupin's ter escort yeh ter McGonagall."

I spotted the new teacher coming over and said, "There he is. Thank you!"

Professor Lupin smiled as he led the way to the school. We rode in a carriage that smelled like straw.

"Excited?" He asked.

I smiled. "Very. How do you get sorted here? Back at Ilvermorny, we stand in a circular room with four statues of the houses. Whichever statue reacts to the student determines which House the student is in."

"We have something like that," Lupin said. "You'll see."

As we got to the Entrance Hall, I heard a drawling voice. "You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottorn telling the truth? You actualy fainted?"

Malfoy elbowed past Hermione to block Harry's way up the stone steps to the castle.

"Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose jaw was clenched. I felt my fists clench, too. I hated people like Malfoy.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" said Malfoy loudly. "Did the scary old dementor frighten you too, Weasley?"

We got out of the carriage. "Is there a problem?" Professor Lupin asked.

Malfoy gave Professor Lupin an insolent stare, which took in the patches on his robes and the delapidated suitcase. With a tiny hint of sarcasm in his voice, he said, "Oh, no -- er -- Professor," then he smirked at Crabbe and Goyle and led them up the steps into the castle.  

My friends grinned at me as they hurried inside.

I was led to another room where the eleven-year-old first-years had gathered. Professor Lupin told me I was to go before them and led me through the door to the Great Hall.

I tried not to gape as I took everything in; the four long tables with banners over them, indicating which House they belonged to; the floating candles; the ceiling, famous for being enchanted to resemble the night sky. There were also ghosts floating around, some talking to students, which interested me. There were no ghosts at Ilvermorny, only talking statues.

There was also a man at a table at the back of the hall with a long, silver beard and golden, half-moon spectacles. Albus Dumbledore.

"We have a new transfer student from Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," Albus Dumbledore said. "Please welcome Aisling McKeon."

There was some muttering, and I caught snatches of things like, "Transfer student" and "McKeon."

I was told to sit on a stool and a ragged, ripped hat was placed on my head.