Chapter Ten

I got up early and made my way to the Great Hall with the twins, Angelina, and Alicia.

"It's going to be a tough one," said Wood, who wasn't eating anything despite the rest of us pushing food at him.

"Stop worrying, Oliver," said Alicia soothingly, "we don't mind a bit of rain."

But it was considerably more than a bit of rain. Quidditch was really popular around here. The whole school turned out to watch the match as, but they ran down the lawns toward the Quidditch field, heads bowed against the ferocious wind, umbrellas being whipped out of their hands as they went.

We changed into our scarlet robes and waited for Wood's pre-match pep talk, but it didn't come. He tried to speak several times, made an odd gulping noise, then shook his head hopelessly and beckoned us to follow him. The wind was so strong that we staggered sideways as they walked out onto the field. If the crowd was cheering, I couldn't hear it over the fresh rolls of thunder.

How in Hades was I going to be able to see my teammates, much less the Quaffle? I glanced at Harry and felt a bit selfish for worrying about the Quaffle. He was going to have to find the Snitch, which was hard enough to see on a clear day.

The Hufflepuffs were approaching from the opposite side of the field, wearing canary-yellow robes. The Captains walked up to each other and shook hands. Diggory smiled at Wood, but Wood now looked as though he had lockjaw and merely nodded.

I saw Madam Hooch's mouth form the words, "Mount your brooms."

I pulled my right foot out of the mud with a squelch and swung it over my Golden Arrow.

Madam Hooch put her whistle to her lips and gave it a blast that sounded shrill and distant — we were off. I saw a small blur that was the Quaffle and dove for it, narrowly avoiding one of the Hufflepuff chasers. I caught it and hurled it towards one of my teammates, who luckily caught it. As she sped by, I caught a glimpse of her face. It was Alicia. She raced for the goalposts, Angelina and I flying near enough in case she had to make an emergency pass.

Within five minutes, I was soaked to the bone and frozen. I could make out my teammates, but not very well. I couldn't hear the commentary over the wind. The sky was getting darker, as though night had decided to come early.

"Come on, Zeus," I muttered furiously after barely catching a pass. I spotted the Hufflepuff goal posts and zipped toward them. Twice I nearly hit someone, but I made it to the goalposts and made sure it wasn't Wood I was scoring against before getting in closer and flinging the Quaffle through one of the posts. The Hufflepuff keeper dove for the Quaffle as I left the scoring zone.

With the first flash of lightning came the sound of Madam Hooch's whistle. I could just see the outline of Wood through the thick rain, gesturing me to the ground. The whole team splashed down into the mud.

"I called for time-out!" Wood roared at us. "Come on, under here —"

We huddled at the edge of the field under a large umbrella. I shivered, looking at my soaked robes in disgust.

Harry took off his glasses and wiped them hurriedly on his robes. "What's the score?"

"We're fifty points up," said Wood, "but unless we get the Snitch soon, we'll be playing into the night."

"I've got no chance with these on," Harry said exasperatedly, waving his glasses.

At that very moment, Hermione appeared at his shoulder. She was holding her cloak over her head and was, inexplicably, beaming. "I've had an idea, Harry! Give me your glasses, quick!"