Chapter Forty-Five

The familiar sweet perfume spreading from the fire met their nostrils as I emerged at the top of the stepladder. As ever, the curtains were all closed; the circular room was bathed in a dim reddish light cast by the many lamps, which were all draped with scarves and shawls. I walked through the mass of occupied chintz chairs and poufs that cluttered the room and sat down at a small circular table with Harry and Ron.

"Ash, who'd you talk to?" Ron asked.

"Good day," said the misty voice of Professor Trelawney right behind me. I internally sighed in relief. At least I wouldn't have to answer Ron now.

Professor Trelawney was peering down at Harry with the tragic expression she always wore whenever she saw him. The usual large amount of beads, chains, and bangles glittered upon her person in the firelight.

"You are preoccupied, my dear," she said mournfully to Harry. "My inner eye sees past your brave face to the troubled soul within. And I regret to say that your worries are not baseless. I see difficult times ahead for you, alas... most difficult... I fear the thing you dread will indeed come to pass... and perhaps sooner than you think..."

Her voice dropped almost to a whisper. Ron rolled his eyes at Harry, who looked stonily back. I wasn't sure how to feel about the whole prophecy thing. The way Harry had described Trelawney's Seeing was completely accurate, but at the same time, Trelawney was kind of ridiculous.

"And you, my dear!" She said, looking at me with interest for the very first time ever.

I immediately regretted staying in Divination. Would I become the next Hermione, doomed to withstand Trelawney's criticism?

"My dear, your Inner Eye has become stronger in our months apart! I can tell you have Seen many things..."

I shook my head. "No, I don't think so."

Trelawney frowned. "Well, if you're sure..."

She swept past us and seated herself in a large winged armchair before the fire, facing the class.

"My dears, it is time for us to consider the stars," she said. "The movements of the planets and the mysterious portents they reveal only to those who understand the steps of the celestial dance. Human destiny may be deciphered by the planetary rays, which intermingle. For example," she said, looking at Harry, "Saturn was surely in a position of power in the heavens at the moment of your birth. Taking note of your dark hair, your mean stature, and your tragic losses so young in life, you were clearly born under the influence of Saturn. Don't you agree?"

Slightly amused that Trelawney had called Harry short, I looked over at my fellow Gryffindor, who'd spaced out. I nudged him.

"Harry!" Ron muttered.

"What?" Harry jerked out of his thoughts and looked around.

"I was saying, my dear, that you were clearly born under the baleful influence of Saturn," said Professor Trelawney, a faint note of resentment in her voice at the fact that he had obviously not been hanging on her words.

"Born under — what, sorry?" said Harry.

"Saturn, dear, the planet Saturn!" said Professor Trelawney, sounding definitely irritated that he wasn't riveted by this news. "I was saying that Saturn was surely in a position of power in the heavens at the moment of your birth... Your dark hair... your mean stature... tragic losses so young in life... I think I am right in saying, my dear, that you were born in midwinter?"

"No," said Harry, "I was born in July."

Ron hastily turned his laugh into a hacking cough. I managed to stifle a snort.