Chapter Nineteen

We stood transfixed with horror under the Invisibility Cloak. The very last rays of the setting sun were casting a bloody light over the long-shadowed grounds. Then, behind us, we heard a wild howling.

"Hagrid," Harry muttered. He made to turn back, but both Ron, Hermione, and I seized his arms.

"We can't," said Ron, who was paper-white. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

Hermione's breathing was shallow and uneven.

"How — could — they?" she choked. "How could they?"

I was so shocked, I couldn't even speak.

"Come on," said Ron, whose teeth seemed to be chattering. We set off back toward the castle, walking slowly to keep ourselves hidden under the cloak. The light was fading fast now. By the time we reached open ground, darkness was settling like a spell around them.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest. The rat was wriggling madly. Ron came to a sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, You stupid rat? Stay still — OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute —"

"He won't — stay — put —"

Scabbers was plainly terrified. He was writhing with all his might, trying to break free of Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

But I had just seen — slinking toward us, his body low to the ground, wide yellow eyes glinting eerily in the darkness — Crookshanks. Whether he could see them or was following the sound of Scabbers' squeaks, I couldn't tell.

"No, go away, Crookshanks, go away!" Hermione pleaded, but did Crookshanks listen? Of course not. Actually, does any cat listen? This is exactly why dogs are better than cats. Dogs actually listen. They're very obedient. I could probably debate for hours about why dogs are better than cats, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, for some reason unknown to me, Scabbers decided to flee the safety of Ron's grasp and tried to dart away. Crookshanks began his pursuit. Before we could stop him, Ron burst out of the Invisibility Cloak and chased after him, pelting into the darkness.

I finally found my voice. "Ron, no!

I exchanged a look with Harry and Hermione. We followed at a sprint. It was impossible to run full out under the cloak, so we pulled it off and it streamed behind us like a banner as we hurtled after Ron. I could hear his feet thundering along ahead and his shouts at Crookshanks.

"Get away from him — get away — Scabbers, come here —" There was a loud thud. "Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat —"

Harry, Hermione, and I almost fell over Ron. We skidded to a stop right in front of him. He was sprawled on the ground, but Scabbers was back in his pocket; he had both hands held tight over the quivering lump.

"Ron — come on back under the cloak —" Hermione panted. "Dumbledore — the Minister — they'll be coming back out in a minute —"

But before we could cover ourselves again, before we could even catch their breath, we heard the soft pounding of gigantic paws... Something was bounding toward us, quiet as a shadow — an enormous, pale-eyed, jet-black dog.

Remember what I said about dogs earlier? Put those words on a plate, because I need to eat them.

The dog had made an enormous leap and the front paws hit Harry on the chest. He keeled over backward in a whirl of hair. But the force of its leap had carried it too far. It rolled off him.

Brighter Than the SunOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara