Chapter 18

Trick or Treat

Bailey sat at her desk out in her studio, staring at the wall. Ever since her birthday she'd spent almost all of her time in the space. Painting, drawing, reading, even just sitting and listening to music. This was her place, her safe space, and she loved it. Halloween was only a couple of days away and just like every year, the fire and police departments were planning an event for their families. She was excited to go, to be a part of the celebration but as per the holiday, costumes were a must. TK and Carlos had both decided to go in uniform, Carlos was going to leave a good portion of his at home though, his side arm for example. Bailey had called them unimaginative but she had to admit it fit the theme. She however had no idea what to dress up as. She wanted to do something symbolic like her foster fathers. She'd asked a number of the 126 as well and they all were going in uniform as well. She pushed her tongue against her cheek as she thought.

            It was strange trying to think of a costume when she'd never bothered before. In the past Halloween had just been another day, she had never had friends and when she was a kid every person dressed up as a ninja or some form of monster scared her senseless, reminding her of the night her parents were killed. It confused her since she didn't remember the act but the therapists she'd had in previously had said that it was a subconscious reaction. Bailey sighed as she sat back in her seat. There were numerous first responders but one in particular that she could think of that she wanted to represent.

"Hey Grace, I've got a weird question for you." She said.

"What's up sweetheart?" Grace asked.

"Do you have a shirt I could borrow?" Bailey asked.

✵✵✵

Bailey, TK, and Carlos walked through Pease Park towards the large crowd of first responders near the playground.

"I didn't know that it was this popular." Bailey said, slipping in between TK and Carlos.

            Carlos glanced down at her, reading her body language before hugging her gently to his side as they walked.

"You'll know most of the people here Bails. Everybody from the 126 will be here and most of the officers from my precinct too," Carlos said. "But if you feel anxious or need some space just let us know and we'll move somewhere quieter."

            Bailey nodded. It was thankfully cool enough outside that Bailey could relax and not really worry about her body temperature fluctuating drastically. She knew however that the forecast was not going to be on her side for very much longer.

"Gotta enjoy the weather while we still can." Bailey laughed.

            TK looked over at her, confused.

"Why do you say that?" He asked.

"It's supposed to spike high again next week," Bailey said. "The school has already warned about rolling blackouts and that if they go out of power we aren't going in. Teachers have already given out assignments just in case. I think I've got instructions for about five essays sitting on my desk right now."

            TK's brow arched. This wasn't the first Bailey had brought up the upcoming weather warning but this time felt different.

"You're gonna be okay Bails," He said. "You know that right?"

            Bailey nodded.

"I know," She said. "It's just a habit to be weary I guess."

            TK nodded.