Chapter 33

Travel Hell

            Ahh airport security, to some it's a mild annoyance in their path on their way to a much more enjoyable place and experience, to others it's a more moderate annoyance. To Bailey, it was hell. Her bag was always flagged because of her medication and the detectors always picked up on her port and she had to explain to the agent that no, she had not somehow implanted a bomb or anything dangerous into her abdomen rather it was a built in thermometer and yes, that was a thing. It hadn't surprised her when the metal detector beeped but she groaned and hung her head nonetheless when the TSA agent called her over.

"Any sharp objects or anything that could injure me on your person miss?" The woman asked.

"No ma'am." Bailey replied.

"Do you know why the detector went off today?" She asked.

"Yes ma'am," Bailey replied. "I have a port in my side."

The agent nodded.

"And are you traveling with anybody today?" She asked.

"My dads." Bailey said, gesturing to TK and Carlos who were waiting a couple feet away.

The TSA agent turned to them.

"Gentlemen," She greeted. "Since your daughter is underage you will need to be present while we complete our search."

Carlos nodded.

"We understand." He said.

"Can I just show you my port so we can go?" Bailey asked.

She really wasn't in the mood for a search at 4:30 in the morning. Carlos gave her a look.

"Let the agent do her job, Bailey. We have plenty of time before our flight." He said.

"You're right," Bailey replied and turned back to the agent. "I'm sorry for being rude."

The agent smiled gently.

"It's alright hun, I know this isn't fun," She said. "Can I see your port? And then we'll just swab your hands and shoes and that should be all."

Bailey nodded and pulled up the left side of her shirt, easing the waistband of her leggings down so that the agent could see her port. The agent expected it for a moment before nodding.

"It looks very similar to an insulin pump or a Dexcom," The agent said as Bailey moved her leggings back up over the device. "My daughter has one."

Bailey nodded.

"It's pretty much the same thing just with an internal thermometer instead of an insulin drip and it's surgically implanted and I don't change it every few days," She replied. "This one is smaller than the one I originally had."

"When did you get it replaced?" The agent asked grabbing the residue wipe from the table next to her."

"Last October," Bailey said holding out her hands. "I clipped my old one climbing out of a firetruck and it tore."

The agent winced.

"What were you doing in a firetruck?" She asked.

"Reading. My dads are first responders, a paramedic and a police officer. I hang out at the fire station sometimes and I was reading in the back cab of the ladder truck. When I climbed out I hit my port on the side." Bailey said.

The agent nodded.

"Ouch," She said. "I'm sure your dads loved that."

"Not really," TK spoke up with a light chuckle. "Nearly gave us heart attacks."