[6] Fate brings people together no matter how far apart they may be

I sit in a seat towards the back of the plane

I sit in a seat towards the back of the plane. Everything's quiet, terribly quiet. It's not like I'm  about to start up a conversation though so I just stare down at the small magazine in my hands, pretending to be interested in...baking.

"How did you lose them?" My dad finally breaks the silence, asking a question that's been on his mind this entire flight.

Charles sighs. "The treatment for my spine affects my DNA."

I swallow hard, trying my best to hold my tongue. It's not appropriate for me to get in the middle of their conversation. Still, I could never fathom making a decision like that. My powers are what makes me who I am. To just throw them away for such a silly reason seems ridiculous, unthinkable.

My dad immediately looks up at Charles. "You sacrificed your powers so you could walk?"

"I sacrificed my powers so that I could sleep-" Charles's shaken voice breaks off at the end. "What do you know about it?"

"I've lost my fair share." My father comments.

Charles shakes his head. "Ah. Dry your eyes, Erik. It doesn't justify what you've done."

I get brought back to a previous question I had, what did my dad do to Charles? It must have something to do with him losing the ability to walk. That much is clear. Still though...that's not enough. Charles seems ruined. Fractured like a chipped glass. Whatever happened to him tore his life to shreds. It's hard to digest the idea of my dad playing a part in that. He makes mistakes but...he's not some kind of monster.

"You have no idea what I've done." My dad tells his old friend.

Charles frowns. "I know that you took the things that mean the most to me."

"Well, maybe you should have fought harder for them." My dad slightly raises his voice.

"If you want a fight Erik," Charles shouts and stands from his seat. "I will give you a fight!"

Logan finally looks up from his newspaper. "Sit down!"

"Let him come." My dad says.

I stare on in horror as Charles pounces at my dad, grabbing him by the collar.

"You abandoned me!" He screams. "You took her away and you abandoned me!"

"Let's just calm down." I mutter, not sure how serious this fight is gonna get.

My dad just stares hardly into Charles's eyes.

"Angel. Azazel. Emma. Banshee." The plan starts to wobble in the air. "Mutant brothers and sisters, all dead!"

I stumble to the floor as the plane suddenly tilts to the right.

"Countless others experimented on." My dad continues. "Butchered!"