[13] Fate loves the fearless

I stand at a lake, looking at my reflection in the crystal clear water

I stand at a lake, looking at my reflection in the crystal clear water. I dont think I've ever seen something so beautiful, so calm.

"Where am I?" I whisper to no one but myself.

"You're dreaming."

My head turns in the direction of the voice and I see him standing there. "D-Dad?"

He walks forward and puts his hands on my shoulders.

"You have to do it, Estelle."

I stare up at him in pure confusion. "Do...what?"

He shakes his head and his grip tightens on me. "You have to do it."

"Dad, you aren't making any sense." I say. "What do I need to do?"

"Do it, Estelle. Don't hold back." His voice grows more intense.

My shoulders begin to burn, almost as if his fingernails are stabbing me like dull knives.

I try to pull away. "You're hurting me! Stop!"

"You have to do it!"

"Let go of me!" I trash under his grip.

"Estelle! Estelle!"

"Estelle!" Charles yells as I gasp awake.

A hot layer of sweat engulfs me as I continue to pant. Eventually I calm down enough to survey the room and just as usual, I don't like what I see. The window has spider web-like cracks darting all around and several of Jean and I's belongings lay broken on the floor.

"I'm sorry," I whip a hand over my face. "I didn't mean to make a mess...again."

Charles just looks down at me with sympathy in his eyes. "I'm afraid this time it wasn't just you."

At his words my eyes dart to the bed next to me. Jean is still asleep, thrashing around. As my eyes adjust to the dim lighting I begin to notice that Charles is right. If I would have done all of this, the house would have stopped shaking by now.

"Jean..." I murmur.

"I-" Charles cuts himself off. "I can't bring her out of it this time, Estelle. She needs your help."

I stare at the girl in front of me. "I can't help her. I can barely help myself."

"Please, just try," Charles asks. "Jean is your friend, she would do the same for you."

A frown forms on my face. I want to help her, I really do. I know my skill level though, I'm well aware of what I'm currently able to do. Getting inside of Jean's head...I can do it, when she's awake and willing. Now though? Even from a distance I can sense her distress. Jean's mind is like a maze with only an inch wide exit. Even if you don't get lost in there, it could still be impossible to escape.