one-sided love

Never once did Aspen think that people were capable of loving her. It seemed nearly impossible. She would always look at herself in the mirror and point out her insecurities. Surely she wasn't the only one. It wasn't a bad thing though, it only made her to be more human.

Over time she realized that most of her insecurities didn't necessarily always come from herself, but instead, given out from people around her. As you grow older, you learn that people can really be evil and pressure you into being what society wants you to act or look like. That's when doubts start forming in your head. Is pretending to be someone you're not, truly who you are? You do start to adapt to becoming someone else after you've practically forced yourself too.

She had only dated one person from the 20 years she had been on this Earth. Her name was Estella and they had met each other during tenth grade, where the new girl had transferred all the way from across the country.

Aspen learned that she moved all the way to California from France. She was generous, funny and most importantly, a loving person. At least that's she thought. Thick red locks with an amazing personality, who could resist her? No one was perfect but in Aspen's eyes, she was.

They gradually became friends and soon developed feelings for one another. Taking it a step further, the pair began dating. At first, it felt nice and refreshing, like a breath of fresh air. But overtime, Estella began getting way too comfortable into their relationship and sooner or later, it seemed to Aspen as if she lost all interest and stopped trying to keep their relationship alive. While Aspen gave 100% into their relationship, Estella started giving only half of what Aspen gave.

Sure, she was upset but she learned that all love did was blind you. You're so obsessed with that one person that you turn a blind eye and ignore all the bad signs they've been putting out all along.

She was young and not knowing any better, she thought she was in love. Oh how she was wrong. She wasn't supposed to feel mentally tired from spending time with her girlfriend. Or in some cases, physical hurt everytime she went out of line.

Frequently, Estella would bash out on Aspen for no reason and point out the things she didn't like about her. She told her to change if she wanted her to stay. She would make snarky remarks about her body, the way she dressed, and talked about how she hated how she always acted so clingy around her. It wasn't her fault. She was slowly losing a grip on Estella and she had to do something.

The connection they had for each other was gone instantly. She figured that Estella had given up on them and as much as it hurted to let her go, it had to be done. She can't fight for someone who never even wanted to be fought for in the first place. A one-sideed love, you could say.

That day, she broke up with Estella and it was the heartbreaking to say the least. If anything, the words her ex-girlfriend projected onto her was the worst of the worst as it stuck with her forever. Of course, physically it had hurt when she dragged her around like a ragdoll. But words were something way different. It hit you right in the chest, just to latch on and never let go.

She never believed in love or the thought of soulmates ever again.

That was until she met Valentina. She opened Aspen's eyes to new opportunities and showed her what love really was. Slowly, but surely they both fell for each other. But sometimes things just don't last forever and can be stripped away from you in a quick second. Especially when something is getting in the way of both people.

.

A/N - This was a little filler into Aspen's life before meeting Valentina, but I promise it will get more interesting the further the story goes along. Also, thank you to anyone who is viewing my story right now and giving it a chance! I really appreciate it a lot, so thank from the bottom of my heart. xoxo