.5. ʜᴏᴡ sᴏғᴛ sᴘᴏᴛs ɢʀᴏᴡ

There is something very unsettling about Kim Namjoon's displeased countenance. He displays irritation yet does not raise his voice. In fact, he seems rather adamant on keeping his mouth shut. Taehyung finds it impressive, how he is able to let one know they've done wrong without having to utter a single reproach. He looks around, waiting for someone else to express their condemnation of his behaviour but everyone had adopted Namjoon's stance: silent scolding stares.

Yoongi, as weary as ever, grunts as he sinks further into his armchair while Hoseok's knitted brows makes it quite obvious he has not forgiven the theft of his wings. Jimin clears his throat before pulling out a remote control. "Taehyung, you're on the news."

And sure enough, within the fuzzy and shaky phone images, he recognizes the imposing dark wings from which fly chaotic hexes. And for the first time, he sees Jaewon's silhouette hitting the ground as witnesses scream in horror. Some even managed to capture Taehyung's dematerialization, gasping in shock as they tried to make sense of what had just happened.

The journalist reporting on the event is desperately attempting to make head or tail of the recordings which, he says, have been authenticated by the authorities in charge of the investigation. His own inquest has led him to the hospital where the victim is presently being treated for — purple pus seeping out of pimples which have erupted all over his face and body, likely following what he labels a "vicious attack on the part of what may very well be paranormal forces".

Jimin turns the screen off at the request of Namjoon who makes it clear he's seen enough. "Taehyung, I'm sure you understand the gravity of the situation which we have agreed to call a crisis. Therefore, I expect you to cooperate to the fullest of your abilities as we lead our independent investigation into this matter."

Taehyung nods, "of course, I'll do anyth-"

There's a loud knock on the door which startles them all but before anyone can even respond, it flies open, letting in a visibly miffed vampire. "Since none of you, honourable members of the SSB Council, seem to remember that I am a key witness in this case, I thought I'd kindly remind you of my existence."

Hoseok cannot but scoff at the gutsiness. "A witness you say? And what exactly did you see as you were biting the dust?"

Jungkook wants to riposte but Yoongi raises a tired hand. "Kid, I know how you like to make everything about you. However, this was Taehyung's mistake and we must now brief him before his interrogation tonight."

"My what?" It is the first time Taehyung hears of any sort of official questioning to be conducted by the authorities.

Jimin flies to the rescue of his confused — and slightly frazzled — friend. "The Seoul Bureau of Numinous Affairs has requested your presence. You are to report at 12 am at their Gangnam branch office."

"What?" Taehyung and Jungkook shout as one.

Namjoon speaks again. "You heard that right. We have just been notified. No need to be alarmed though. We believe it's just standard procedure whenever such — breaches occur."

Jungkook cannot help but giggle. "Midnight tonight, huh? They sure like to make things dramatic."

The vampire's constant interruptions are not contributing to the lightning of the mood, Taehyung can tell as Namjoon's frowns deepens. Placing a gentle hand on his arm, he whispers, "I appreciate your willingness to be of assistance, but perhaps we can let boss finish explaining. I, for one, would love to know what to expect this evening."

If Namjoon is grateful for Taehyung's mediation, he doesn't show it. Looking at the report sitting on the desk in front of him, he asks instead, "what was that hex you used?"