.6. ʜᴏᴡ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴏғ ᴜsᴇ ғᴏʀ ᴏɴᴄᴇ

The resident librarian is about to close up when he notices the light of a reading lamp flickering in the reference room. A flutter of wings later and Jimin is gently tucking an unruly strand of hair behind the sleeping witch's ear. "Taehyung?" he whispers.

The squeak of bones cracking echo in the quiet halls as Taehyung jolts awake.

"How can a body as young as yours make the sounds of three millennia-old mummies?" Jimin teases.

"How do you know what three millennia-old mummies sound like?" Taehyung retorts, voice slothful.

"You don't know what I keep in my archives."

The tone is playful but Taehyung still shivers. "Do I want to know?"

"As a matter of fact, you don't."

More chills. "You have successfully convinced me to not spend the night alone in this haunted Athenaeum."

"I would have forced you out otherwise. You need to rest if your time here doing research is to be fruitful."

The whine that ensues indicates Taehyung is nowhere closer to finding more information about the unfortunate hex than he was in the morning, when he first set out to discover a counter spell. Or an elixir. Or anything that would make those horrible pustules go away.

If only he had access to a wand reader! Alas, he's been out of touch with the wizarding world and wouldn't know how to locate one, nor whom to ask for counsel. Besides, he is convinced his reputation as the gift thief has likely closed all those helpful doors a long time ago.

He also desperately needs to master his obliviating enchantment, but hasn't had the leisure to practise yet.

The threat of a High Court summons has the Secret Sevens on their toes, but Taehyung being the only witch on their team, providing assistance in regards to spell casts is beyond everyone's expertise. Which explains why Taehyung spends his time alone in SSB's library, dusting off old spell books and scrolls of ancestral witchcraftery in the hopes of finding anything out about the formula he used by chance.

Gathering his notes, he points at the pile of musty manuscripts. "When are you going to get those digitalized by the way? I swear my lungs are now filled with ancient mildew which, I'm positive, will shorten my lifespan by a decade or so."

"These old books haven't killed anyone yet," Jimin giggles.

"Well, they haven't proven very helpful in saving my ass either."

"We're all working overtime to try and resolve this crisis. I'm sure when we meet with the others tomorrow, we'll have made some progress."

Taehyung doesn't have it in him to bring up the fact that Jungkook has been MIA since they returned from the Bureau in the early hours of the morning. He does, however, feel like a fool for letting himself be duped by the vampire's sudden interest in his cause. Jungkook probably has his own agenda. Always had. The man answers to no one but Yoongi. Occasionally. Even Namjoon must periodically explain to him who is in charge. Yet the warnings have little impact on the overall freelancing approach Jungkook maintains toward his position of employment within the Brigade.

"You know I can tell when something's on your mind," Jimin reminds him.

"I'm just sorry for giving you extra work. And at this hour no less."

"Don't worry about the books. They can spend the night on the cart."

"Thank you, Jimin. I feel very lucky to have you."