.9. ʜᴏᴡ ᴛᴏ ᴡᴀʀᴍ ʜɪᴍ ᴜᴘ

"How long until you admit we are lost in the woods?"

"We are not lost. In fact, we're almost there."

Jungkook looks around for something resembling a destination of sorts but all he sees are trees. And more trees. Trees everywhere. He picks up a cone from the ground made out of fallen pine needles. "Pinus koraiensis, if I'm not mistaken. Tell me, Taehyung," he chants, "are you planning on turning us into squirrels so we may hide in their branches?"

There's a chuckle. Incredulous and cynical. "You're the one with the polymorphic gift. Besides, we're here."

Jungkook is now seriously doubting his eyesight. "What do you mean, we're here? Where is here?"

"Can you not see it?"

"Define it."

"The lake."

Jungkook is about to complain that now is really not the time for any leg-pulling but Taehyung is watching him pensively. "Oh my." A whispered bewilderment. "How?"

"What?"

Grabbing Jungkook's hand, Taehyung flaunts his brightest smile. "Do you trust me, Jeon?"

"Well, since you have successfully turned us into the most wanted fugitives in the country, I'm not certain I should."

The hand drops. "You are free to leave."

Jungkook would have done so hours ago if he had wished to. He could turn around right now and vanish, but instead, he puts his fist inside Taehyung's palm. "Take it for I trust you, my sweet Befana."

The gibe does not faze Taehyung whatsoever. "Close your eyes for me then, Count von Count."

Jungkook does so and feels a pull. Taehyung's hand, guiding him forward. "Are you planning to push me into a trunk?"

That's when he notices the shift in the air, as if a shroud had just been lifted, allowing a breeze to caress his cheeks and play with his hair.

"You can open up now."

Jungkook is briefly blinded by the shimmer bouncing off the rippling waves of the lake nestled in the reddening mountains. Ash is quick to uncurl from Taehyung's arm and dives into the glimmering waters, splashing loudly as he regains size and power.

Turning back, the vampire recognizes the invisible curtain he had seen earlier, by the river Han.

"A very basic illusion charm," Taehyung explains. "I didn't think it would work after all these years."

"How do you know about it?"

"I cast it."

"How old were you?"

"I must have been about ten at the time."

Jungkook's eyes are full of questions. Taehyung feels the need to oblige him. "My parents owned a summer house nearby — probably still do. We used to play in these woods with my sister. I hated losing at hide and seek, so I cheated a little."

"You were ten," Jungkook repeats, not even trying to hide the disbelief he senses is written all over his face.

"Growing up in a family of witches who cast as they breathe, you pick up on stuff."

Jungkook is still processing the fact that, contrary to what Min Yoongi had once told him, he was not immune to all magic, when Taehyung gives him a shove. "Last one in gets a forfeit," he screams, sprinting toward the shore, unbuckling his belt.

A pair of pants falls to the ground when he remembers that vampires do not do well around running water. Taehyung is about to apologize when he hears water splashing. By the time he locates the diver, Jungkook is halfway across the lake, possibly trying to compete with Ash.