sixteen

a r i a n a

i tried my best to get away from it all, but pain always takes over. it's something i know that can't just be changed, and it doesn't seem to matter. from the blood running through my veins, to the crash right after.

i already knew what had happened, it wasn't a secret. but people like drama, rumours and gossip are what people live for. imagine my surprise when i returned to school weeks later, and everyone's eyes followed me around wherever i went. it also comes as no surprise to what all the states and whispers were about.

it's ariana's fault calum crashed his car.

he could've died and she just had to have her way.

don't people know when to leave things how they should be? we don't need to change.

calum busted his knee really badly in the crash. i barely have any recollection of that day, so what scared me more than anything was these rumours being true. what if these things were my fault? if this ruins calum's life, i'll never forgive myself.

the gossip only got worse, harper made sure of it. she was the one having all of the fun here, and because i couldn't bring myself to go anywhere near calum, she got to keep him all to herself. i didn't move here to fight with petty american girls over guys, part of the reason i moved away was to get as far as i could from one. but the worse the pressure became, the worse it became for me to handle. soon enough, to everyone's shock, i would give in.

c a l u m

"you know, cal, maybe this is a sign that music is your path."

"shut up, mike."

"listen mate, i know you're pissed, and it sucks, but you have to look on the brighter side of this."

michael did have a point. i loved football, i did. it was my whole future, my parents had me set on that path, and i myself was too. but i've always loved music, and sooner or later i would have to make a choice on which part of that i wanted to keep in my life. who knows what the right choice would've been if i had one, but here we are.

"i know." i sighed. "let's just practice."

"we have to wait for luke." ashton says. "he's talking to his mum."

"i love liz." michael beams.

"we all do—"

"mum, that's not fair!"

"...but not luke." ashton trails off.

luke walks into the room, slamming the door behind him, and he did not look happy.

"mate, what's wrong?" michael asks him.

"ariana's gone."

"what?"

"ariana's gone, she bought a plane ticket and left, alone."