nine

a r i a n a

i've never been the adventurous type. laura and milena could say otherwise, seeing as all i ever wanted to do was wander around the towns, but it wasn't true. although i would have chosen to stay in italy at the time of my father's passing, things weren't perfect back home, which is why i am glad in a way to be here. after all, i have luke.

his friends were nice to be around i suppose, some more than others to say the least. i knew that coming here, people weren't just going to welcome me with open arms. i never expected it, quite frankly, and i still don't. the only thing i would expect is common decency. you know, you're typical minding your own business and willingness to not bother someone you don't know. well, that and the typical, minimal respect amongst others.

when i arrived at school, the following day that calum had taken me on the driving during our spare, to no surprise was harper once again stood right at the foot of my locker, awaiting my arrival.

"i thought i made myself clear about calum." she said, arms folded across her chest.

"and i thought i was clear that i don't let anyone push me around." i responded, putting my books in my locker.

"you're making a huge mistake, gucciardi." she says as though it's some sort of threat.

"okay." i nodded, closing and locking my locker. "are we done here?"

"not by a longshot." she says. "...we'll talk later."

i look off in the distance to wear she's going. luke, calum, ashton, and michael were stood off in the distance.

"ariana!"

i ignored his call for me, barely even glancing at him. i just went straight to the library. maybe harper had a point, maybe it was better that i just kept my distance from everyone. i'd rather just sink into a chair and fade away anyways.

c a l u m

"ariana!"

"just leave her, calum, i told you she doesn't talk much." luke says. "now, what the fuck were we talking about."

"how michael's gonna bomb to math test because he stayed up playing animal crossing." ashton sighs.

"my village—"

"no one cares michael." harper smiles, walking up to us.

"why are you so peppy, it's eight in the morning?"

"because my coffee was good." she nods. "now, calum, for the love of god, skip with me this period. i miss our adventures."

"go hang out with your other friends, i have to study."

continuously i made up excuses. i really needed space from harper. the more she spent time with her other friends, the more clingy she somehow became, and controlling in a way.

"since when do you study?"

"since i started failing math." i said to her. "would you knock it off with the questions already."

"no need to be a dick about it." she rolled her eyes.

"cal, i can ask ariana to tutor you if you want." luke said. "she's like, crazy smart. i'm sure she could help you if you'd like."

"that'd be great, thanks mate."

score.