Prologue

6 months after placement

Leila POV

I just got home from school and I decide to write in my journal before I start my homework.

"I've been living with Carina and Maya for almost 6 months now. I've been in a lot of messed up homes, but I can honestly say I have never felt loved the way Maya and Carina love me; I feel safe with them. 

I really want them to adopt me. I really like Carina's brother Andrew, whenever I have issues with thinking about my biological father or I feel scared about it I can talk to him. He's also been teaching me some Italian words. 

It's important to me to show Carina and Maya that I care about Carina and Andrew's culture. 

I've made up my mind that if they decide to adopt me, I want to call Maya "Mom" and Carina "Mamma" which means Mom in Italian. I also learned the word for "uncle" in Italian, zio, which is what I want to call Andrew". 

I put my journal away and go to my room to start my homework.

It was probably about 6pm when I heard Carina come home from her job at the hospital. I went into the living room and I saw her. "Hi Carina". 

Carina turned around "Hello bella!" She opened her arms for a hug, which I was happy to walk into. We pulled apart, "school was ok?" "Yeah, I'm so happy it's Friday though. I need a break". 

"I'm sure. I'm going to get dinner started. Do you want your pasta?" "Yeah, thanks. I'm gonna have some water; I'm so thirsty". "I'll get it bellina". "Thanks". 

I went to sit down at the dining table across from the kitchen. "How was work?" Carina started cooking. "I delivered 6 babies today; including two sets of twins". "Woah!" Carina brought me a glass of water. 

I heard a phone buzz; it must've been Carina's because it wasn't mine. "Maya's on her way". "Home? I thought her shifts usually go until midnight". "They do, but she's taking a few days off. And so am I. And we have something to talk to you about". 

Uh oh! 'Something to talk about' is never a good sign. I started freaking out. "Am I in trouble? Did I do something wrong?" 

"No bella, no no". She knelt down next to me and touched my arm; I looked at her. "You've done nothing wrong. You're not in trouble. We just want to run something by you. Ok?" I nodded. I felt her kiss my head. 

"I actually have some homework I want to get out of the way before tonight, I'm gonna go work on it". "Ok, I'll let you know when dinner's ready". I nodded and went back to my room. I think it was around 6:30 when Maya came home.

No POV

Maya wrapped her arms lovingly around Carina and kissed her girlfriend on the neck. "Easy...I'm cooking". "I know...where's Leila?" "Doing homework in her room". 

"Hi Maya!" Leila shouted from her room. "Hi sweet girl!" "Is dinner ready yet Carina?" "In about 5 minutes. Wash your hands before coming out." "I know!" Maya laughs. 

"Does she know anything?" "No, I told her we wanted to talk to her later...and she thought she was in trouble." "Maya laughs that girl? No way. 

We're all set for the appointment with her case worker on Monday to get the process started". "I'm so excited we get to tell her tonight!" 

"Me too! She'll be ours Carina." "I know! Can you tell her dinner's ready?"

Leila POV

I heard Maya knock on my door to let me know dinner was ready. I closed my math book and went to wash my hands. 

I still can't get this conversation they want to have with me off my mind. I really want to think they want to adopt me, but there's still a part of my brain that thinks they might be sending me back.

Carina made my gluten-free pasta for dinner and she and Maya had her homemade pasta. There's a little part of me that's jealous that I can't eat Carina's pasta because of my gluten intolerance; I'm sure it's so good. "Leila, can you clear the dishes please?" Carina asked. "Yeah". 

I got up and started taking dishes into the kitchen. I heard Carina and Maya get up from the table, I got a feeling in my stomach that they wanted to talk soon. I started rinsing some dishes when I heard Maya's voice "Leila can we talk to you please?" I gulped "Ok, coming".

 When I left the kitchen, I saw Maya and Carina sitting on the couch. "Come sit between us bella." I did as Carina said. 

"What's up?" "Well..." Maya started. "Carina and I are taking the weekend through Monday off work because there's some stuff we have to do that concerns you". 

I start freaking out again...they're sending me back! "I thought I wasn't in trouble..." "You're not". Carina said. I can't take it anymore... "Then why are you sending me back?!" I stood up and faced them. "What?!" Maya asked looking shocked. 

"I've had this talk with families many times. 'Something to talk about' always means I get sent back..." I start crying. 

"Please don't send me back! I know I wasn't so nice and open at the start, but I hadn't been in a placement in so long. It took me a while, but I love it here! I love it here and I wanna stay! You guys gave me a life that I never thought I would be able to have; I feel safe here. I wanna stay and I want you adopt me! There I said it! Please don't hate me!" I start crying even harder. 

"Leila, we don't hate you" I heard Maya say. "What?" "Come here bella" I see Carina reaching out. I went and sat next to her. "Leila, look at me" I heard Maya say. I looked up.

"Leila, you have changed our lives more than we could have ever imagined. When Carina and I agreed to be foster parents we didn't know what to expect. It hasn't been easy and yes, you were a tough nut to crack. But we wouldn't change a thing, and we can't imagine our lives without you. That's why we want to adopt you". 

What?! "You want to adopt me?"

"Yes" I heard Carina say. I turned to her "We're talking to your case worker Monday". Now I start happy crying. "Leila..." I turned to Maya "Will you be our daughter?" I start nodding "Yes!" I feel Maya and Carina both hugging me. 

After a few moments I come up for air, "I love you guys, and I already know what I want to call you..." 

I turned to Maya and grabbed her hand "Mom", I turned to Carina and grabbed her hand "and Mamma". I saw Carina get teary "ti amo mamma", my Italian is coming in handy. 

"I love you to bambina." Carina embraced me in a huge hug and kissed my forehead. 

I turned to Maya and I saw tears in her eyes "I love you Mom" I reached for her, she opened her arms "I love you too baby girl". I felt her kiss my head when I was in her arms. 

We celebrated by watching a movie; at some point I fell asleep against my Mom. I don't remember being moved back to my room, but I woke up the next morning in my room.

Well it's out...what do you think?