First Meeting

He first met her when he was six in the Gojo Estate Garden

He first met her when he was six in the Gojo Estate Garden. He thought she was weird, sitting there all alone, her reflection staring back at her in the pond. Upon hearing him approaching, she looked up, impassive cold eyes staring right into his soul. He wasn't used to someone trying to read him. It was always him who could read a person with his cursed eyes. However, he couldn't read her. In fact, it felt like she had no presence at all. He reached out his hand, and without any hesitation, he pinched at the girl's cheek. The scowl he got was weird. No one ever looked at him with that much animosity before. It was always either fear or respect. The young master Gojo Satoru couldn't understand why this girl was so different from the others.

''You are weird,'' was all Satoru could mutter at that moment.

''And you are pinching my cheek. It hurts you know?''

He releases her cheek, cocks his head to the side, trying to understand the girl. She just rubs her cheek before looking down at the pond again as if it was more interesting than Satoru. The boy took this as an insult. What was so interesting in the pond? Surely it couldn't be more important than him?

And indeed, when Satoru looked down, he only saw swimming koi. ''What's so interesting with the fish?''

When the girl stayed silent, Satoru thought that she didn't hear him. Just as he was about to repeat the question again, with a soft, almost dreaming voice, she answers, ''I find it funny that they seem so free despite being contained in that pond. The pond is like the world. But we can never be the fish. Unlike them, we can't swim freely. We have to obey the elders or else we get thrown out like wasted vegetables.''

''That's stupid.''

The girl looked up at him again. Oh, how Satoru hated her impassive eyes as they stared at him. It felt like she could read him, see all his fears. He hated it.

''Of course. You are Gojo Satoru. Everyone respects you, they value you for your cursed techniques.'' He didn't miss the undertones of that sentence. 'You wouldn't understand.'

''No. It's stupid because you think you have to go with whatever the elders want. You think you don't have a choice and yes you don't have one right now. Opposing to them would be a suicide mission. But once you grow older, you can try to change the world.''

She smiles slightly at the monologue of the boy. Brushing off her clothes, she mutters, ''You make it sound so easy.'' With that, she disappears from his sight.

It was when he was having dinner with everyone that he realised that she was not from his clan. He had no name, just emotionless eyes staring at his soul as if she was trying to read him. ''Presumptuous,'' Satoru mutters as he reaches for his chopsticks.