Chapter 46

Callie P

Callie P.O.V

School's over now so Harry and I are waiting on the front steps, suddenly a lime green Audi speeds up and screeches into the parking lot.

"Did your dad get a new car?" Harry asks, nudging me.

"I mean... he must have, no one else drives in school zones like that." I chuckle, confused because I thought Steve was picking me up.

He comes to an abrupt halt in front of us so we jog forward, "hey Daddy, did you get a new car?" I say, opening the front seat.

"Yep! Do you like it?" He grins at me and I smile back, nodding. "You're not crashing this one!" He points a finger in my face.

"Yeah, okay." I laugh, about to get in.

"Uh, no baby, Uncle is coming for you. I'm taking Harry." He says, opening his door and climbing out of the car. "Ah, there he is now!" He points and my Uncle Steve's vehicle pulls up behind my Dad's, at a much more appropriate speed.

"Hey baby girl, ready to go?" He calls, stepping out of the drivers side.

"You drive so slow," my Dad teases.

"Well, I'm an old man." Cap shrugs laughing.

"I'm confused. Why is Harry going with Dad?"

The men glance nervously at each other, like they're expecting me to lose my shit, which only aggravates me more.

"Harry and I have a meeting with a counsellor and a social worker, they need to talk to Harry about what happened with his Dad as well as what his mum said over the phone." Dad explains and Harry shifts uncomfortably beside me.

"But what does that mean? Like, can he stay with us?" I turn to my Dad, looking him straight in the eye.

"We're figuring everything out Callie, Uncle will talk to you about all of it," he says, taking my friend's bag and putting it in the trunk, "let's go buddy or we're going to be late."

Harry looks back at me and shrugs, "I have to work tonight," he tells my Dad as he climbs in.

"We'll get you there," he waves goodbye to me, "love you kid, I'll see you tonight."

I wave and get in beside Uncle Steve, slumping back grouchily. "He's not going to let Harry stay with us is he?"

The blonde man runs a hand through his hair, "well... no. Not indefinitely." He sighs, pulling out of the school parking lot.

"What? Why not?"

"Because baby, we have a lot to deal with. It probably isn't a good home for him because we can't give him the attention he deserves."

"So, I'm a lot to deal with," I scowl.

"Well, yeah, you are." He looks at me pointedly, "but also , we're pulled away for work often, and it isn't fair to ask Laura or Happy to watch you and someone else."