Punishment

Y/N POV

I bit my bottom lip hard. That couldn't be possible. I'd checked it over and over for any possible mistakes. "I'm sorry."

"In the future, don't bring me anything that's not perfect." She showed me the paper again before placing it flat on the desk. She nodded at it, beckoning me. I walked to the edge.

"See this?" she asked. With a red pen, she made a circle on the page.

I leaned in. "Um."

"Come closer."

I bent forward, twisting my head to see where she was pointing.

"Closer."

I glanced up. For the first time since she'd shifted into boss mode, her deep green eyes sparked. She nodded me on with an expectant look, so I folded myself over the desk. She held up her palm, stopping me at a ninety-degree angle.

"Comfortable?" she asked.

"Not really," I said tentatively.

"Then rest your elbows."

My eyes widened. It was an unnatural position, one that didn't seem appropriate for the workplace. I held her gaze and placed my forearms on the desk's surface. She looked at my hands, balled into fists. When she didn't speak, I uncurled all my fingers and flattened them so they framed the release.

"Here," she said, indicating a sentence, "the verbiage is entirely wrong."

I swallowed dryly. "I'm sorry. I'm not that familiar with your industry."

"Is that an excuse?"

"No. I'll fix it."

"The whole thing is too long. I need you to cut it to about half but keep the same amount of information."

My breasts were directly in her line of vision, baring my cleavage to her. They rose and fell faster with the increase of my heart rate, but she didn't look once. Her eyes only jumped between my face and the desk.

"Yes, ma'am."

"And here," she said, tapping the end of her pen on the paper, "you forgot a comma."

"I'll fix that, too."

She handed it to me. "Get it to me before you leave. You're dismissed."

I'd done something wrong, but it wasn't just my errors. A pit formed in my stomach when I thought of my breasts in her face. Yet she hadn't even looked.

It took me over an hour to correct my mistakes because the release was already as concise as I'd thought possible. This time, I mailed it to avoid disturbing her.

She stayed locked in her office until well after six. I stayed too. There was plenty to do since I'd barely made it past the second page of Grace's list. Every few minutes as I worked on a task, my mind would float back to me in that position, and how she'd commanded me there. Had it been harmless? Was I making something of nothing?

Right before seven o'clock, a message from Natasha popped up on my screen.

Ms. Romanoff

Open the door.

I rose slowly and brushed an invisible wrinkle from my skirt. I'd assumed she'd forgotten about me and wouldn't realize it until her way out of the office. I turned and walked to open her door.

Reclined in her leather chair with the phone to her ear, she didn't look up. Her tone was deep with authority as she spoke into the receiver. Since she gave me no further instructions, I returned to my desk. The back of my neck tingled as I imagined her watching me from her seat. That feeling remained until I received another message.