Distance Between Us

You felt yourself reaching up to Wanda's face, where your lithe fingers danced across her cheek and to a loose strand of her auburn hair. You continued to observe her every feature as you guided the piece behind her ear. You could detect tints of pink cascade down her cheeks as she fought a smile.

Her face began getting closer.

Closer.

Closer.

Closer.

Until the door suddenly opened and you were met with a soon to be fuming Natasha Romanoff.

Oh God. Could this get any worse?

Knowing your luck, it probably could.

"Y/N." Natasha pierced sharply once she set her eyes on you. You jumped at the sternness of her voice and quickly separated yourself from Wanda. You couldn't read much from Natasha's face, but her clenched jaw and popping veins were enough to give you an idea. Her hands were molded into fists so tight her nails were practically breaking into the smooth skin of her palm. She was trying her hardest not to haul you over her shoulder for the taking.

She had to at least have some control over her actions. Evidently, she only seemed to lose it around you.

You didn't want to make matters worse, so with your better judgment, you found your way towards Natasha. Sparing Wanda an apologetic glance as you slowly reached Natasha's arms length. You swallowed a gulp as you glued your eyes to the floor, knowing you couldn't risk another reprimanding glare from the furious redhead. You shouldn't have been as nervous as you were, nothing even happened between Wanda and you. Even if something had, what would be so bad about it? You convinced yourself you had nothing to worry about, yet, Natasha's face brought you nothing but fear, you had never seen her so infuriated before.

It appeared Natasha's patience was running thin when she extended a polished hand sharply around your wrist to quicken your leisurely walk. A grunt was stolen from your lips as she practically dragged you to her office. Her grip was rough against your wrist, yet the skin of her palm spread a warmth through your body, one you found yourself familiar with around Natasha. But to be fair, at this point, you were experiencing every level of emotion. You wouldn't be surprised if the heat rising in your body was just another symptom of the heart attack you were sure you were experiencing. Once you were confined within the walls of her office, Natasha didn't waste another second to scold you.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" She hissed through her blinding teeth, seemingly venomous but appealing all the same. The hand that wrapped around your wrist dropped as she flung her arms out exasperatedly, leaving you standing in the middle of her office on the verge of pissing your pants.

"We were- I was cleaning her drink. I had spilled some on Wan- Ms. Maximoff and I-"

"Really? Her drink? Do you think I'm stupid?" She asked dumbfounded, her eyes squinted and eyebrows scrunched together as if you were a petulant child.

Stupid? No. Mean? Maybe.

You thought about saying that, but would never have the courage to do so if you ever wanted to get out of this office alive. So instead, your lips unwillingly released another fumbled sentence.

"No- Not at all, Ms. Romanoff. Truly, I-I slipped and-" You wanted to smack yourself over the head for how nervous you sounded.

"Enough. I don't care. Not one word out of your mouth is gonna excuse this behavior. Not even one week and you're already breaking my rules!" She huffed frustratedly as her chest rose and fell deeply.

You couldn't understand why she was so irritated. Sure, Natasha was a short-tempered woman, but something so miniscule couldn't have riled her up so easily. Seeing your co-worker and employee harmlessly, almost, nearly, kiss isn't worth this much trouble. Not in your eyes at least. Maybe, she just doesn't want HR breathing down her neck if they found out about a supervisor/subordinate relationship. Was there even a policy against internal fraternization at Stark Industries? Surely not, otherwise how in God's name did your parents get together? Let alone have you. You wouldn't be surprised if Tony waived the rules of Stark Industries to accommodate him. He would claim that in the name of love (and lots of money) he was free to do as he pleases.