chapter seven

The next day, Olivia arrived at the stables bright and early for pony camp. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't excited, pony camp was always so much fun. Besides, today she would have the chance of proving Pin's innocence. As she and Nina arrived at the stables, Olivia was surprised to see that everyone who was already here seemed down. Olivia didn't think much of it as she put Nina away until she noticed Mia standing in Raven's empty stables, tear stains on her cheeks. Carefully, Olivia entered.

"Hey Mia," she said softly. "Is everything alright?" Mia shook her head.

"Firefly was stolen last night," she said. Olivia's mood immediately soured.

"Oh Mia, I'm so sorry," she said apologetically.

"He was in a broken stable, and nobody was watching," she said, pressing a finger to her lower lashline. "Guess you were right about Pin not being the horse thief," she laughed humorlessly. Olivia soundlessly enveloped the girl into a hug. She and Mia may not get along much, but they shared their love of horses, and Olivia knew how strong a bond between a rider and their horse was, she couldn't begin to imagine Mia's pain right now.

"I know we aren't on the best of terms, but if you need anything, I'm here," said Olivia, unwrapping her arms from Mia who simply nodded. The latter wiped her tears and walked out of the stables. Olivia followed her out just in time to see a police car roll in.

Despite the gravity of the circumstances, Olivia's face lit up when she saw Pin exit the police car. Firefly's theft confirmed he hadn't been involved with horse thieves since he had been under close watch the entirety of the night.

Suddenly, as if feeling her staring at him, Pin turned around and locked eyes with Olivia, whose heart sped up upon seeing the boy. She gave him a nervous smile, and he gave her one back before hurrying away to whatever task needed to be done.

Eventually, Olivia bumped into Becky and Jade.

"Livie!" Becky exclaimed.

"I'm sorry!" The three girls said at the same time.

"No, I'm sorry, I was really mean to you yesterday, I overreacted," said Olivia.

"No, we're the ones who are sorry," said Jade.

"Yeah, we shouldn't have assumed you were letting your feelings speak for you," said Becky.

"How about we just put all this behind us," said Olivia.

"Yeah," said Becky with a smile.

"We were gonna go watch Marcus' demonstration, do you wanna come with us?" Asked Jade.

"Of course you were," joked Olivia. "Let me just go grab my book so I don't get bored when you inevitably start ignoring me in favor of drooling over Marcus," said Olivia as she ran over to where she left her bag and took her book out.

The three girls made their way to the paddock around which participants of pony camp were gathered. It wasn't long before Becky and Jade were staring longingly at Marcus, letting out comments once in a while such as "He's so hot" or "He's absolutely amazing". Olivia couldn't blame them, she had to admit Marcus was attractive, and besides, she'd be the exact same way if it'd been Pin in his place. Olivia decided to take out her book and read until the demonstration was over.

She realized it was over when she heard claps and cheers, and when Jade tapped her shoulder and motioned towards Zoe who seemingly had just arrived. The three girls headed towards their friend who was talking to her sister, telling her to try and enjoy herself.

"Welcome to the neighborhood!" Said Becky. "Get it? Neigh?" She said as she was answered with silence.

"Um, do you think you're gonna be okay with these guys for a few minutes?" Zoe asked Rosie.