chapter twenty

"And lastly, riding for Bright Fields is Zoe Phillips!" The announcer said over the PA. Olivia and Mia looked at each other worriedly, Zoe was still not back.

"You have to go on Mia," Olivia said. Mia gave her a determined nod.

"Susie," she called over authoritatively. The latter rushed over to her friend.

"Mia, Olivia! Where's Zoe?" She asked.

"Zoe's busy, I need your uniform, Susie," Mia said.

"You're not seriously thinking about riding?" Susie asked her friend.

"Well, I'm not about to let us go down without a fight. Zoe's not here, so either I ride, or we lose," Mia said. Susie followed her to the bus, where they exchanged clothes. Mia exited the bus in Susie's uniform, concealing her sprained ankle remarkably. Olivia fell into step beside her.

"Try to lean in more than usual, that way your weight will shift forward from your ankles," Olivia whispered to Mia as advice, since she'd ridden with a sprained ankle before. Mia looked at her briefly, then nodded.

"Thanks," she said earnestly, as Susie and Olivia helped Mia mount Firefly.

"Good luck!" Susie called out.

"I don't need luck," Mia said with a wink towards her best friend.

"Final call for Zoe Phillips, or I will have to declare the round void," the announcer said as Olivia joined Becky, Jade, and Marcus.

"Excuse me," Mia said as she rode past them.

"Mia?" Jade exclaimed in confusion.

"Mia, you have a sprained ankle, you can't do this," Marcus said in concern.

"Someone's gotta save the day," Mia said arrogantly, leading Firefly into the arena. Jade, Becky, and Susie rushed to the fence of the paddock so they could watch her, Olivia staying behind.

"You know, once in a while, Mia's not so bad," Olivia said. Marcus chuckled lowly.

"Marcus?" They heard behind them. They both turned around to find Sam.

"Sam," Olivia said angrily. "What do you want?" She added, crossing her arms. Marcus turned to her questioningly, confused by her angry tone.

"I've made a terrible mistake," Sam said remorsefully.

"What's happened?" Marcus asked, concerned.

"It's Zoe, she's in danger," she said. "I told her where Raven's being kept, and she left to find him, we have to go find her, it could be really dangerous."

"What? How did you even know where Raven is?" Marcus asked in confusion.

"Not the time Marcus," Olivia said, rushing after Sam. "Come on!" She gestured to him. The three entered the car, Olivia in the back as Sam drove.

"Okay, now that we're in the car, can someone explain?" Marcus asked.

"Yeah Sam, I think you owe us an explanation on how you know where Raven is, or on why Zoe said you were the thief?" Olivia asked bitterly.

"I- it's a long story, I made a mistake okay?" Sam said. "One of you needs to call the police," she added.

"On it," Olivia said, as she dialed on her phone.

"Get them to track your location so they can follow us there," Sam added, as Olivia did so.

"There! That's Zoe on Raven!" Suddenly exclaimed Marcus, pointing through the window. Olivia turned just in time to see Zoe and Raven being chased by a black car, headed straight towards a small river. Sam jerked the car in the appropriate direction, and all three seemed to hold their breaths when Zoe attempted a jump over the water. They all knew Raven was terrified of water, but they knew if anyone could get him over his fear, it was Zoe. As soon as Zoe had gotten over the river, Marcus leaped out of the barely immobilized car.