iii. nothing is easy

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

  Nothing is easy in Ketterdam

Those 5 words had engraved themselves into Eva's brain since her first time walking the streets of the city as a child, clutching tightly to the hand of a grisha woman she didn't know, and had never seen again.

Nothing is easy.

Eva slinked down the street, doing her best to blend in with the crowd despite being dressed in dirt stained white attire from when she had been sneaking out of the White Rose. It was strangely dark for the middle of a summer afternoon, but Eva payed the weather no attention. She was too busy watching her back.

Ketterdam was a city of parties and pleasure, but Eva knew better than to fall for its tricks. Under the mask of excitement lay a darker reality full of criminals and betrayal. She knew that a city such as Ketterdam had no mercy for the weak.

And so as Eva wove her way through the damp streets and party tricks, she constantly looked out for the dangers of the city.

As she reached the barrel, Kaz Brekker's turf, she passed a market square full of bright colored carts and stands stocked full of items from around the world. Merchants yelled over each other from their separate carts, clamoring for attention from the gathering customers. Eva passed by one stand that was selling ornate jewelry from Ravka, and another that had a wide variety of hand painted tea cups from Novi Zem. She was tempted to stop and gaze at all of the products being sold, but she didn't have much time until the clocks rang 2 o'clock, and she would be late for Kaz's meeting.

Eva darted quickly through the crowd gathered to pick at the items for sale, but paused a small grocers cart. Eva had forgotten to eat lunch before she left the White Rose and a sudden urge of hunger overtook her. Eva glanced around to make sure no wandering eyes were watching her before making her move.

Unnoticeable in the large crowds, Eva quickly snagged a bright red apple off of a nearby rack of the grocers cart and stuck it in her skirt, hiding the fruit from other costumers eyes. Her heart pounded as she exited the market square and rounded a corner.