viii. winds changing

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

  Eva slowly began to wish they were back on the boat

  Eva slowly began to wish they were back on the boat. After nearly two days of traveling across icy terrain and frost filled air that threatened to freeze off her fingers and toes, she was about ready to saw them off in an attempt to keep the chill at bay. Anything felt better than having to trudge through the Fjerdan snow.

She could hardly feel her face as she walked alongside Jesper, the two of them talking off the cold that seeped through their heavy winter coats. Their current topic of conversation was the bastard of the barrel, who walked far behind the two, scheming face in place and no doubt not paying attention to the others.

"Is he always so," Eva waved her hands around, searching for the right word. "Insufferable?"

"Ever since we met. You get used to it though," Jesper replied, while fiddling with his gloves.

Eva sighed and a stream of fog left her mouth. "I'm not even sure why I'm here, going to the Ice Court, and trusting the man I want to punch most in the word."

"None of us know why we trust Kaz, I guess it's just his fun and trustworthy demeanor," Jesper joked, and Eva rolled her eyes.

"As for why we came to the Ice Court? I guess it's based off of what we're drawn to." Jesper continued. "I'm drawn to the adventure and probability, they're both the same really. You cant have a true adventure without any risk. What about you? Why were you drawn here?"

Surprised, Eva realized she didn't have an answer. Why was she here? What had drawn her to this group, this risk? Eva caught herself glancing back at Kaz, the boy who had shown up at the White Rose and offered her a chance for freedom. And a chance for death. But she had followed him anyway.

Why? She asked herself, a crease in her brow as she tried to think.

"I'm here because I want to find my family." She decided, turning away from Kaz and looking back at Jesper. "I'm either escaping the White Rose, or I die trying."