Chapter 2 - Get Back in the Goddamn Car!

Cyrus' pov

"She looks fine," the doctor concludes, flicking through a file of the numerous scans of had done in the past couple of hours, "I don't think it was anything more than a stress induced faint," he continues flippantly.

"See, Pep, nothing to worry about," I reassure her.

"Stress induced? What could stress someone out so much that they physically pass ou-"

"I'll be fine, Pepper. I'm serious," I get up and off the hospital bed I'd been lying on.

"If possible, I would recommend you take a step back from your position, temporarily at least," the doctor inputs, "I'm aware you're Miss Potts' assistant at Stark Industries; I can imagine that it's quite a stressful job."

Looking at me sympathetically, Pepper nods in agreement, "Yes, it is. C, I think the doctor's onto something: you may need to take a break."

"What! I'll be fine, I-"

"I'm your boss and I am telling you to take payed leave," she says sternly, "I'll manage to survive without you for a little while, even if I know I can't do my job on my own forever."

Sighing, knowing that I can't get out of her decision, I make my way towards the door and thank the doctor before he leaves, "Fine, but I'm back in a couple of weeks, tops."

"We'll see about that," she responds, shooing me out of the door.

~~~~~~

"Pepper, Cyrus," Tony greets us, "I heard about your little stay-at-home holiday leave you're now on."

"She passed out due to high levels of stress," Pepper interrupts before I can say anything, "she's been landed with a lot since I got appointed as-"

"CEO? Yes, I'm aware," he spins across the room in his chair, toggling and messing around with his computers, "I caught her napping on the job a few days back."

"Yes, but she still does her job perfectly," Pepper argues.

"Never said she didn't, Pep. It's just that the impromptu trust-fall training she sprung on you was a little worrying, but not the first sign," he replies, getting up from his chair and walking towards the door.

"Oh, and did you like the party?" He asks, just before he leaves.

Pepper laughs a little in response, just as her phone rings, "Remember: you're welcome here whenever, C. Just go and get some rest, ok?"

"Yes ma'am," I say, with a false salute.

~~~~~~

"The notary's here," Pepper announces, as she walks into the room, "Can you please come and sign the transfer paperwork?"

"I'm on happy time," Tony responds, landing a few punches on the man.

"C, what are you doing here?!" Pepper says, a little frustrated, "one of the most stressful places you could be would be boxing with Tony."

"It's fun, Pepper," I respond with a laugh as Tony punches Happy in the face, "Plus, I haven't really got much else to do."