Chapter 21 - Odin, You're a Prick

Cyrus' pov

"So you have the power to end the universe?" Tony asks bluntly, as we all sit around the conference table.

"Well, no," I try to formulate an understandable answer, "sort of, yes."

"Well, that's cleared that question up nicely," the billionaire remarks sarcastically. Despite trying to lighten the heavy atmosphere of the room, all eyes are still pointedly fixed on me.

"The destructive power is only in the Fate of the Yggdrasill, the world tree," I continue in a level, calculated voice, "I am merely a... a vessel of the power of fate."

"How poetic," Clint hums, dropping down from the ledge he had been sat on, "but what Stark is trying to politely ask is: do you have the power to betray and then solo us all?"

I'm taken a back by the bluntness of the archer, offering him a sad smile, "Clint, I know what I'm saying sounds... incriminating, perhaps. But I wouldn't leave you gu-"

"Yeah?! Well I call bull," he interjects, taking two rapid paces in my direction so that he's now up in my face, "You've left us, fooled us and lied to us so many times it's almost comical to say that you won't-"

"Clint," Tony starts, pulling back the man's arm, "she w-"

"No," he glares at the bearded man with a sharp tone, "none of us really know who she is so don't speak for her. She could betray us all tomorrow and you would still say 'it's just a misunderstanding'-"

"That is so way to speak of my sister!" Thor rises from his seat angrily, the once stationary Mjolnir now twitching slightly where it stands, "Lady Hyra has just returned from a noble quest and-"

"A 'noble quest'!" exclaiming mockingly, the archer throws up his arms in exasperation, "Of what? Coercing Natasha to run along with her little, 'world-saving' plan? She said it herself: she's happy you and your family troubles are out of her hair. She has enough on her plate without you lying and stringing her along with your 'noble quests'."

I glance to my feet before looking up and a guilty-looking Natasha. I swallow thickly, thinking back to all of the seemingly convincing things she said last night, "...You really said that?"

Her lack of response and the vacant look of regret on her face gives me the answer I needed, "Everything you've said was a lie?"

I say it as a question, but it's effect is no less pointed than a plain statement. I nod to myself, moving towards the open door, "This was a mistake... I'm sorry for the hassle, Tony."

"No, please, kid-"

"I'm sure I'll see you all again... soon enough," I leave everyone in the room in a stunned silence, pausing outside to let out a deep-set sigh. But instead of taking the next left to the elevator, I turn right and through a few corridors until I reach a simple oak door.

N. Romanoff
In use

I push the door open and slip inside. The room is dark despite the time of day, yet a sense of isolated peace fills the sparsely decorated area.

I begin to scribble down a message on the back of a piece of paper which I found on the side, but 3 sentences in I realise how utterly lame that was.