Chapter 19 - She's Got Family Issues

Cyrus' pov

"The Avengers need you, Nat," I hear the echoing voice of Tony on the other end of the phone, "We think we've located Loki's Cerebro glowstick and I hate to admit that I-"

"Fine," the Black Widow interjects impatiently, "But if it goes to shit then-"

"You're out," he finishes her sentence with a knowing sigh, "I've got it."

There was a long pause, so I assume the call is over. I stare blankly at the chapped, beige walls. We'd had to clear out of the Parisian apartment (which SHIELD had quickly taken a notice of) and now have to reside in a two-up, two-down terrace house on the outskirts of the city.

"Can you at least bring her along," I hear Tony say quietly, after long seconds of silence, "I'm sure you've kept her safe but I'd like to know if she's ok..."

Rhythmic footsteps creak across the unevenly sanded floorboards. The thin layer of dust - which cakes the interior with a dampened haze - puffs little plumes into the sun-dazzled air with every heavier step.

"I'll talk to her," Nat finally responds, her voice trailing with a hint of reluctancy, "but you know she's... she's got family issues."

I audibly scoff at her words, which makes her immediately stop pacing and give a quick goodbye to the billionaire. Entering the small living room from the kitchen, she stands, leaning on doorframe all while looking visibly unimpressed.

"How much did you hear?" she asks, watching as I stare out of the window wistfully.

"For a spy, you sure put your speaker on loud," I inadvertently answer, absentmindedly tapping on the arm of the chair. She slowly approaches me, grabbing my hand to stop the fidgeting.

"That's because I trust you," she meets my thoughtful gaze, "and I know how conflicted you are right now."

"It was them," I mutter again, replaying the flash in Holstagg's eyes over an over, "it- it was Loki!"

"You've said but... but Thor said they were dead-"

"No!" I push myself to my feet, backing away from Natasha, who unsuccessfully reaches out her hand to catch mine, "No, you don't get to tell me that they're gone! No one does!"

My voice cracks and I look down to my feet to hide my welling tears. Shuffling footsteps and a cautious hand follow within seconds. Wrapping me tightly in a warm embrace, she strokes my hair lightly as I let a rattled sob into her shoulder.

"I didn't mean it," she whispers quietly into the top of my hair, pressing the gentlest of kisses onto my head, "and there's still hope yet."

Minutes pass before she's pulling away to look down into my glazed eyes, "So... will you, uh..."

I crack the slightest of smiles, watching as she awkwardly tries to find the words. Finally - as I begin to feel a little bad for just watching her struggle - I decide to prompt her, "Do you want me to go with you?"

"Uh, yeah, that," she smiles in relief, fiddling with the collar of my shirt. As I don't respond immediately, she begins to backtrack a little as she pulls away, "I mean, you don't have to- you're right, it was a stupid idea-"