Ayra

It was well after noon when the engagement began

It was well after noon when the engagement began. I do not have the heart to stop Dheeran's engagement, since Mithilli's engagement was contingent upon the occurrence of his. She has become my friend, and no friend would do that much damage to one's life for such selfish intents. The intent, to be clear, is to make Dheeran tie the knot with me.

    As a princess, I had always gotten what I wanted; and have led a life climbing solely uphill. However, the time has come for me to get married and claim my throne. My father, the king of Aurealia, had been insisting upon my marriage well before he fell ill. I have been avoiding the subject of marriage because of the suitors my father thought would means an ideal match with me.

     Sure, the suitors he presented me with were either princes, kings or noblemen. But I wanted a warrior as my husband. I couldn't tell a prince or noblemen that he was being a stick in the you-know-where. Nor could I spend time on a common man training him to become a soldier in the army or sitting him down to teach him to become a noblemen. Some things just had to come naturally.

       In addition, my kingdom was not in the position for its king consort to be a clueless fool. Dheeran is the only man I've set eyes on that some clue about how to fight, and how to lead. Thus, he is the only one who even comes relatively close to fitting my criteria for the perfect husband. Plus, it doesn't hurt that he is a politician at heart. That will serve him well in court.

    The noblemen and kings always watched while others fought. They weren't in the ring, fighting along with their citizens. My kingdom just got out of war, and is in the brink of a civil war. I would never want a husband who sits idle and watches his citizens fight, knowing all too well that they were all sent to die.

     I needed to trust my judgement that Dheeran would not be like the men I have encountered in my life thus far.

     Watching Dheeran exchange rings with another girl was one of the worst moments of my life. I really liked him, and I could not bare the thought that some other girl could snatch him from me just like that.

     Who am I kidding?

     He was never mine to begin with.

    Mithilli simultaneously completed the engagement rituals with Dheeran. My eyes kept wandering to Dheeran. His new fiancé was the picture of Grace. I grinder my teeth, hating my inability to do anything of consequence to stop this madness. I kept reminding myself that the only reason for my inaction was Mithilli. She was a good soul, and I could not, for the love of me, hurt her in any way. She deserved better than that.

     Mithilli's cheeks must have hurt from all that grinning, but she didn't stop smiling even when the audience cleared and she started to snore softly  beside me. What she was grinning about in her sleep, I will never know.

     To me, marriage is a push back on my agenda of conquering neighboring kingdoms, securing trade deals and improving the lives of the Aurealia's people. But to her, it meant the world.