Ayra

I sent out persuasive letters to our neighbouring kingdoms and called off the impending war, listing the costs associated with a war if they were to not heed to this letter. My mother may take a more direct approach to dealing with inter-kingdom issues, but I took a more diplomatic approach. I did not want to the shed the blood of innocent warriors, and plunge our kingdom into needless economic distress for no good reason. We were not expanding, nor was this a strategic war. Breaking out wars was not the answer to everything, and my mother and her advisors should have known better than to threaten our neighbours into submission. 

Although Aurealia was a stronghold in natural resources, ports, and economic activity, there was widespread civil unrest as a result of the recent 9-year war between Aurealia and the Western kingdom of Laros. Laros needed our arable land, and when we disagreed with some of their deals, they provoked a war. For as long as I have remembered, Aurealia was never peaceful. Now that we have some semblance of peace in our kingdom, my mother decided that she must ensue another long and bloody war simply because her daughter had gone missing. At last, pointing fingers was always what my mother resorted to in times of crisis. 

She, of course, did not know much about leading, having fed with a golden spoon all her life. I however, knew better, as the warrior princess. I fought alongside my father and uncle, and knew the toils of war, and how long it takes to recover from one. Having witnessed such horrible things during war, I will never subject my people to go through that kind of distress ever again. 

It may also be a selfish wish, my mind reminded me. Maybe it was time for me to settle down, at the dreary old age of 22 and a quarter. I would be considered a old maid in Mithilli's village. 

A spinster, as she put it. 

Dheeran would make a fine King Consort, and he would rule alongside me, leading this country into a new and brighter future. 

Perhaps I was a optimist, but my father always said that pessimism does not get a leader anywhere but six feet under the ground. 

"My lady," my maid calls, jolting me out of my thoughts. 

"Yes," I respond in my almost somber voice. 

"You guests wish to leave," she says shakily. I turn around, surprised by this announcement. "They request your presence before they part." 

"I thought I told Noor to offer them the best services. Why do they wish to leave?" I mutter to myself, puzzled by their abrupt decisions. They had come here looking for work, and I promised them a good reward, and had ordered the servants to take care of them like family. How was I going to persuade Dheeran to marry me, if he is not here?

"Tell them to enter," I said, speaking more loudly. 

The servant curtsied and opened the door wider to let Dheeran and his mother enter my chamber.  At the wave of my hand, the servant departed and closed the door behind her. "Your highness," Dheeran says, he and his mother bowing as low as the ground, "we wish to take leave, and return to our village."

"Why?" I asked, my head held high. I felt myself crumbling, as my plan was unstable and breaking down quickly. I need a man at my side, whether he be a puppet or a leader, to lead this land. I finally came across a man who I saw fit to lead beside me, and he wanted to leave. The Gods must be looking down upon me, laughing at how desperate I looked to keep this man within my sight after rejecting the offers of countless kings, princes, and noblemen. 

"Palace life is not suitable for us. We miss our family and we wish to return. You promised us a reward for helping you return to your family, and we hope you will keep your word," Dheeran says firmly, his voice never once quivering.