Chapter 5: Sudden Change

Friday morning, I receive a call from work with unfortunate news. Due to the declining economy, I've been let go. Lucky's can't afford to keep me around, which leaves me in a really tough spot considering the incoming payments for school and my new home. I'm not sure what to do and it leaves me anxious and internally panicked. 

The idea of going to a bar and drinking my new problems away is extremely tempting. However, I resist the compulsion by distracting myself with other optimistic thoughts. Mostly about Arthur and all the pleasant times we've spent together. It seems too soon, but I think I'm in love with him. Because I've never felt this way about a guy before. 

I only had one boyfriend in high school and all we ever did was kiss and occasionally screw around a couple of times.  Needless to say, it didn't last very long and was only fueled by hormones and a desire to belong to someone, looking back on it.  I never experienced the pulse-pounding, intense and jittery feelings until I met Arthur. He's the only one who has ever touched my heart this way. 

Growing up in a foster home and never knowing my real parents certainly didn't help erase the lonely emptiness inside of me. I know Arthur has that same void, that dark abyss lurking inside of him, too. That's what makes him so comforting to be around. He can understand. He can comprehend the growing void. Which is probably why I was beginning to feel this way about him. 

I release a deep sigh as I stare at my now twenty-two-year-old self in the mirror. I'm wearing my favorite deep blue long-sleeved shirt with a tight black skirt and dark stockings underneath. 

All dressed up with nowhere to go, I think sadly to myself.

Deciding to spend my day searching for a new job, I grab the latest newspaper and begin skimming the help wanted ads. To calm my nerves, I pour myself a small glass of red wine and begin reading at the kitchen table. 

I must've drifted off at some point because the next thing I do is jump at the sound of someone pounding impatiently at my door. My head lifts from the crook of my arm off the table as I peer around the kitchen. The clock on the stove reads 11:30pm. 

Who the hell needs to speak to me this late? The landlord? Am I getting kicked out of my apartment now? That honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point with the way my day is going...

I reluctantly rise from my creaky chair and smooth my hair down with my hands, rubbing the sleep from my tired eyes. 

As I unlatch the door and turn the knob, I'm met with those beautiful green irises that I've missed so much. Arthur is standing in front of me, face painted with clown makeup and a stream of blood running from his nose. His curly dark hair is disheveled and he's wearing a yellow vest with a spotted shirt underneath. 

"Arthur?" I ask, a million questions running through my head about his haphazard appearance. Before I can question him further, he steps forwards and cups my face between the palms of his hands. His eyes flutter closed as he firmly presses his red lips against my own. 

The unexpected passionate kiss takes me by surprise, but I respond naturally to it and give in greedily, closing my eyes and relishing in the sensation. I kiss him back desperately, flinging my arms around his neck. I hear him kick the door shut behind him with his foot. 

One hand leaves my right cheek as his arm swiftly wraps around my waist, pulling my body flush against his. He slowly walks forward to the far wall of my living room, consequently pressing my back up against it. I release a small moan as his painted lips descend upon mine once again, more fiercely this time. The mixture of blood and cigarette smoke invades my senses and, oddly enough, turns me on even more.