Chapter 13: Fresh Start

As the sunlight of a brand new day filters through my window, I regretfully stretch and stir when the glow hits my face.  However, I can hardly move at all due to the fact that a skinny arm has me pinned in place.  My naked back is pressed to Arthur's shirtless front.

Memories from last night bubble to the surface.  I remember how I urged him to follow me into the bedroom.  How we took turns undressing each other, laughing together during the awkward moments.  And then how easily we fit together once we trusted our own bodies and minds.  It wasn't smooth sailing at first.  Arthur needed some encouragement along the way, doubting his abilities, but I gave him the confidence he needed to pleasure me last night. 

And boy, did he ever.

I now determinedly rotate in his arms so I can gaze upon his gorgeous, sleeping face.  I lightly drag my fingertips over his bare chest, feeling his smooth skin and frowning at his fading bruises.

No more pain, I'd promised him.  No more pain...

Raising my fingers to his face, I begin to gently trace his perfectly sculpted features, running my thumb along his cheekbones.  He's so beautiful, I can't restrain myself from pressing my lips to the corner of his mouth.  He sighs, his lips parting and a cocky smile spreads across his face.

"Good morning, beautiful," Arthur's rough voice says.

His confident demeanor, even while still half asleep, causes those relentless butterflies to stir in my stomach.

"Morning, my adorable clown," I giggle.

He chuckles softly and opens his eyes.  I stare into his green depths as he maintains his self-assured grin. I bring my hand to his curls and gently run my fingers through them, then brush away the pieces that have flopped onto his forehead.

His loving gaze never leaves mine until I move my face closer to his neck and breathe in his intoxicating scent.  Wrapping my arm around his waist, I begin to kiss his neck, slowly, tenderly, all the way down to the base of his throat.

He stirs and hardens against me, sighing and moaning with his gravelly voice.

"Carlie," he begins.

"Hmm?" I mumble, pressing a soft kiss beneath his jaw.

"Last night was... the best night of my life," he admits earnestly, laughing lightly when I peck him on the cheek.

"I'm glad, because it was the best for me, too," I tell him.

"Really?" he smiles.

I nod and bite my lower lip before he places his cool hand under my chin and draws my mouth to his.  The searing touch of his lips makes me want to repeat our previous activities so badly.  But before I can even consider this possibility, he pulls away and abruptly sits up, glancing at the clock on the nightstand.

"Oh, fuck, I gotta go!"  Arthur frantically throws the covers off himself and begins dressing, pulling on his underwear and zipping up his pants as quickly as he can manage.

"Go where?" I question him, grabbing a plain white bra from the drawer of my nightstand and hooking it back into place.

"I have to go get ready for the show!" he loudly explains.

"What show?"

"The Murray Franklin Show," he casually states, slipping on his socks and shoes.

My jaw drops at this latest bombshell.  "You're gonna be a guest on The Murray Franklin Show?"

"Yeah. I forgot to tell you about that," he shrugs.  "They invited me on for tonight."

"How-how did..." I stammer, before he walks over to my side of the bed.  He bends down to my level and cups my face in his hands.  Arthur plants a sweet, lingering kiss on my lips, almost as if he's savoring our last moment together.  As if this kiss may be our last for a while.

But why on earth would that be?

When he pulls away, my gray eyes lock onto his compelling green ones.  Eyes that urge me to remember every word he's about to speak.

"It's a long story and I'll explain later.  Will you watch me on TV tonight?"

I smile up at him.  "Yes, of course I will.  I can't believe-

"I love you, Carlie," he proclaims before I can finish my disbelieving thought.  "No matter what happens tonight, just know that I love you.  More than anything in this whole world."

My eyes feel watery again at his meaningful words.  "Arthur..." I whisper, as he caresses my cheek.

"I'll see you soon," he says, with a sad yet hopeful expression.  Reluctantly, he backs away from me and exits my bedroom, leaving me alone with a sense of nervous excitement for his unexpected upcoming performance.