Chapter Ten

Chase

"Yeah, I'll be there in five. Alright, bye." I hang up on Steve and shove my phone into my side pocket. I've already gotten my converses on so I shrug on the closest jumper I see and exit my bedroom.

I'm just about to head into the living room when I hear mum's voice call out from the kitchen, "where are you going Chase?" I sigh but I turn around and head into the kitchen. Mum's standing by the sink, washing some dishes as Emma's drying right beside her. They both look suspicious, as if they were just talking about me before I entered. 

I raise my eyebrows at them, "what? I'm going out with the boys. I'll be back later."

Mum turns around and raises her eyebrows at me. "Is that girl going to be there?"

I sigh and roll my eyes. "Mum! I don't hang around her anymore and you know that. I don't do that shit anymore."

She shrugs her shoulders and turns back around to continue doing the dishes. "You said that last time and came home drunk Chase. Anyway, it's late and it's already dark and I don't want you going out."

I cross my arms and glare at the two of them. "Mum that was ages ago and besides Brandon isn't like that. It's Brandon's brothers 18th so I have to go. All the boys will be there and no I'm not gonna drink. I've learnt my lesson," I roll my eyes.

Emma laughs, "yeah can't have you coming home drenched in piss again. That was funny."

I glare at her but clench my jaw. I know she's trying to make me start an argument so mum won't let me go. Yeah, not happening. I'm going whether mum lets or not.

"Emma! Be nice!" Mum scolds her and then turns to me. "And as for you, I'll only let you go if Charlie can tag along. I don't exactly trust you'll stay out of trouble if there's no one supervising you."

I open my mouth to protest but think better of it. She'll only let me go if Charlie goes, which is a perfect excuse to drag her out. But do I really want to drag her out to an 18th party full of people getting extremely drunk? Especially when it's with people she barely knows. It doesn't exactly seem like the ideal place for her to be going to.

"Alright fine," I huff out and turn around to head outside since that's where she always is.

I send Steve a message saying I'll be longer than five and pop a wheelie over the threshold to get outside. I stop at the end of the alfresco since I don't exactly wanna go onto the grass and just stare at where she is, lying down, eyes closed, hands behind her head. She looks so peaceful that part of me feels bad for wanting to drag her out of this state.

"Hey Charlie, come out with me tonight," I call out.

She sits up and turns around to look at me, frowns then shakes her head.

I'm so tempted to go up to her and pull her up to drag her out but I stay where I am and give her the best pleading face I can. "Please Charlie. It'll be so fun. You need to start living again."

She continues to shake her head and turns back around.

I sigh and pop a wheelie to get down onto the grass. I push myself right next to her and lean down to grab her hand. "Come out with me. You deserve to be happy again."

She looks up at me, eyes wide and uncertain but doesn't pull away. "Where are you going?"

I smile since maybe she's opening up to the idea of coming with me by asking. "Brandon's got a party on tonight and I want you to come with me. I'll stick by you the whole night and I won't leave your sight and if you feel shit at any time, we'll leave straight away, I promise."