Chapter Eighteen

Chase

The sweat is dripping down my forehead gluing my hair to it and my neck. My hands feel weirdly numb, exhausted from the constant cuts and beating I've just given them over whoever knows how long I've been out here. I should be cold yet if anything I feel trapped and hot like I'm boxed in a sauna, even with the wind blowing past me.

I hate how overwhelmed I feel, not only with school and future plans but even my own emotional state and how far back I've fallen from my recovery. I was doing so well, I was happy with friends and not lagging as badly as before with school and yet I don't know where it all went wrong. Yet I don't want to think about any of it because I can feel myself spiralling and I can't go through that again.

I move my hands faster to stop the thoughts from invading more than they already are, but it just makes me realise how far from home I've come and how dark it's suddenly become. I'm near Westfield, down near Macquarie Street mall and there's a few weird people lingering about that I haven't noticed until now. I don't know what time it is since I left my phone at home since the sight of it was bothering me, but I know it must be late since nothing's open and it's pitch black apart from the few streetlights.

I recognise a head of purple and without even waiting to see if it's who I think it might be, I spin around to head home. Not only do I feel like shit physically and mentally, I can't run into her again. Not when I've been avoiding her for years now. And not when I've accidentally come into her frequented part of Livo.

"Hey, is that you Chasey?" I hear her scream which only makes me move faster. I hear footsteps behind me, but I don't turn back around. "Of course it is. Who else makes pulling off that chair as sexy as you?" I hear her laugh and I frown. What did I ever see in her?

I can feel my head swimming and I try to breathe through the panic I knew this interaction would bring. It's not that I hate her, I don't. I hate who I became around her and what I did to myself when I was with her. I hate how hard I tried to fit in, to dull the thoughts and make people see me as just another teenager instead of Chase. Everything I did, everything I consumed and the thoughts that came from them, that's what triggers me and seeing her does that.

"Chase, c'mon. Don't be such a stranger. I've missed seeing you around," I hear Sky whine and as much as the asshole within me doesn't want anything to do with her, my curiosity wins the battle and I reluctantly give in and turn around.

She's the same as I remember, same long lanky limbs framed by wild purple curls flowing down milk chocolate skin. Her personality is still worn on her and I can tell her current obsession with the thousands of tacky jewellery bracelets framing her wrists. She's shivering in the ripped shorts and fishnets she has on, and I wonder if her home life is still the same exaggerated truth, she used to manipulate us into feeling sorry for her.

I'm pulled from my thoughts by the soft hand running through the stubble on my cheek. "Wow, look how grown up you've gotten since I last saw you. You've grown into a man Mr Hamilton, a pretty one at that." I feel her lips near my cheek, and I pull myself back, not falling for her tricks this time.

"Don't do that Sky," I find my voice. "I'm not that infatuated, clueless boy anymore. I know my worth and you're not it."

She steps back from me, and I see her grin, eyeing me up and down as if really seeing me for the first time since she's screamed my name. "What are you doing here then? You know this is where I normally am yet here you are in my territory."

I shrug my shoulders and although part of my panic is still there, I move to cross my arms in front of my chest and look back at her. "Are you still on about that territory bullshit? Damn Sky, I didn't realise people were wanting to claim Livo for themselves. It's all yours then. I want nothing to do with this city and its sorry people if you're the one representing them."