Chapter 5

We stroll into a store and I walk around looking at the clothing. My eyes land on a grey and pink hoodie with matching track pants. I feel the fabric it's so soft.

"You like that one," Wanda asks with her heavy accent.

I nod quickly. 

"Go try it on," Natasha says.

I hesitate. Natasha then grabs my arm pulling me to the changing rooms. I flinch at her touch as I hate being touched. I don't think she noticed though. I try and pull of my suit that I'm still wearing under a hoodie Wanda lent to me. 

"Here let me help," Natasha says.

She reaches for the back and unzips it. She gasps loudly causing Wanda to come rushing in. She stops when she catches a glimpse of my back.

"Wh- what happened" Natasha stutters.

Pretend it's on a eight-year-olds back

"Nothing," I say quietly.

I grab the hoodie and pants quickly trying them on. 

I force a smile then quickly change back into my suit

"Let's go back to the tower" I mumble.

Natasha and Wanda give each other a look but don't say anything. They pay for the clothes then we all leave. 

When we get back I bolt past everyone and run into my room slamming and locking the door in the process. My breathing quickens as I hyperventilate. My whole body shakes uncontrollably. Images flood into the front of my mind.

"No, not now" I stammer.

I try gasping for air as I panic even more. I start to feel lightheaded from lack of air. I pass out.

Avengers pov

"What was that about," Tony asks Wanda and Nat.

"When I was helping her take her suit of so she could try on an outfit I noticed so many scars on her back so many-" Nat's voice cracks.

"When Nat mentioned it she freaked out and wanted to leave" Wanda finishes for Nat.

"Sir-" Friday's voice rings through the room.

"Not now Friday" Tony replies.

"Sir!" 

"What" Tony hufs.

"It's Avery"

No one even listens for Friday to finish, they all bolt to Avery's room. Steve tries the handle but it's locked.

"Avery unlock the door" he yells.

There's no reply.

"Move out the way," Nat yells.

Everyone moves out the way and Nat kicks down the door. Avery is laying on the floor unconscious. Everyone rushes to her side. Nat pulls Avery's head onto her lap.

"Grab a wet cloth," she says.

Clint goes into the bathroom and comes out with a wet cloth. Nat takes it, placing it on Avery's forehead gently. 

"I wonder why she passed out" Steve wonders out loud.

"Panic attack Mr Rogers," Friday says.

Everyone looks down at the small girl with great sorrow. Avery's blue eyes slowly flicker open. She flinches when she sees that Nat is holding her. She bolts upright.

"Hey it's alright," Nat says in a soothing voice.

There's a noticeable fear in her eyes along with pain, a lot of pain. The sassy and sarcastic girl everyone knows, gone. 

"Sorry," Avery says, her voice cracking.

"You know it's ok to show emotion right?" Nat asks.

Avery shakes her head, tears forming in her eyes.

"Mother says it's a weakness" 

"It's not a weakness, it shows that you're strong," Clint adds.

Avery then falls into Nats arms sobbing. Nats rubs her back comfortingly.

"Hey look me in the eyes," Nat says softly.

Avery gazes into Nat's emerald green eyes.

"All of us will never let anyone hurt you your safe here your new family"

"Never?"

"Never," everyone says.

At that moment Avery realises that she has a family, a real one that will never, ever hurt her, she is safe.

"Now are you up for one of my famous parties,?" Tony asks.