Chapter 2: A New Life

Destiny is call

Open up my eager eyes

'Cause I'm Mr. Brightside.

-The Killers, "Mr. Brightside."

_________________________________________

Kuai awoke the next morning on the ground with an overwhelming feeling of safety. Looking out the window required him to get onto his feet, but he saw that the sun was well up in the sky, shinning brightly on a bright blue tapestry.

Yawning, Kuai sat up in the bed, stretching his arms in the air. As he scanned the room, he belatedly noticed that the Lin Kuei uniform he had folded on the chair in the corner was gone. In its place was set of plain grey clothing. Kuai didn't mind the fact that the Lin Kuei uniform was gone - he was eager to abandon the bad memories. He moved quickly across the room, changing into his new clothing.

It reminded Kuai of the simple, casual clothing that he would wear in basic training lessons back at the Lin Kuei

It reminded Kuai of the simple, casual clothing that he would wear in basic training lessons back at the Lin Kuei. The uniform was designed to be baggy for free, unrestricted movement. The shirt was cropped at the shoulders, removing the sleeve entirely. After Kuai had finished donning his new outfit, he opened the bedroom door, peeking out of it hesitantly.

This act of peeking was a daily routine in his life at the Lin Kuei. If you opened te door and a senior officer saw you, there was a high probability that they would harass you and bully you. When Kuai peeked out, he immediately saw Hideo standing outside - he had a hand raised in the air, about to knock on the door when Kuai had opened it.

Kuai let out a soft "eep!" of surprise at the sight of the older man.

"This is your house, now," Hideo smiled comfortable down at Kuai's wide, uncertain eyes. "You shouldn't feel anxious at every corner and door. No harm will come to you, here." He extended his hand in an invitation. "Come," he spoke softly, his eyes crinkling with the smile, "Aiya has begun her preparation of breakfast."

Kuai looked up at Hideo's eyes warily, eventually yet hesitantly placing his palm in other man's hand. Hideo's smile only grew bigger, easing Kuai's apprehension as he led Kuai through the halls. They passed through a courtyard in the center of the house, home to a small garden with a stone path through the middle. Kuai's eyes stayed on the beautiful sight until it was out of sight.

"Did you enjoy the garden?" Hideo asked curiously.

Kuai nodded slowly. "We don't have a lot of wildlife or flora near the... Lin Kuei," he said softly, uttering the name of his former clan in a whisper. "It's pretty."

Hideo chuckled, trying to put the child at ease. "That garden belonged to my great,great, great grandfather," he said as they walked through the halls. "It has been kept in my family for generations. In the beginning, it was home to only one tree. It is a tradition for every member of the family to add a plant of their choosing to the garden. Soon, you will select one to be added."