Chapter 6: The Tournament (Part 1)

Well, when you go,

Don't ever think I'll make you try to stay.

And maybe when you get back,

I'll be off to find another way.

And after all this time that you still owe,

You're still the good-for-nothing, I don't know.

So take your gloves and get out;

Better get out,

While you can.

- My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You"

                     _______________

Kuai trailed behind the group as Liu Kang led them through the jungle path of the island toward the center of the landmass. The moon shinning in the sky lit the way through the tropical forest, the rays of light permeating through the canopies of the trees.

The Outworlders were walking in front of the Earthrealmers - Kuai could see the back of his older brother's head, and he shuddered, lowering his head to not be seen. While it was unlikely that Bi-Han would recognize Kuai in the grey outfit and mask, the cryomancer didn't want to risk it. He still had the faded scar over his right eye which was placed by Bi-Han himself - maybe the Lin Kuei would recognize it.

Finally, the warriors came to the center of the island - the jungle trees had been cleared out for many square miles, making room for the arena they were standing on as well as a large temple in the background. To the side of the arena, there were separate courts for training. Kuai stood still on the sidelines of the arena, facing forward at the elderly man sitting on the stone throne overlooking the lined-up kombatants.

"Welcome!" The man spoke, rising in his chair as he swept his robe behind him dramatically. "You are here to compete in the Mortal Kombat tournament. Outworld has emerged victorious for the past nine tournaments, this tenth tournament will determine Earthrealm's fate. You will compete against the warriors of the opposing realm, and should Earthrealm defeat all of Outworld's champions, you will face me as the final challenge."

Johnny snickered under his breath as he nudged Sonya. "He might as well hand me the first place medal right now." He turned to the side, jumping slightly when he saw that Shang Tsung was now standing right next to him. "Wha-"

"Appearances can be deceiving, Mr. Cage. You will be the first opponent!" Shang Tsung announced as he floated back up to his throne, sitting down.

Johnny smirked confidently, walking to the arena as he started to trash-talk the others. "Who's badass enough to take me?" He boasted.

"Reptile!" Shang Tsung snapped, silencing the actor as the Saurian leaped from the sidelines to the arena to face Johnny. He hissed menacingly, his forked tongue slithering through his cone-shaped teeth.

Johnny recoiled, the reality finally settling in for the actor. "Man, you look ugly," he winced, looking at Reptile as he got into a fighting stance.

"Begin!" Shang Tsung called out.

Kuai watched with a critical eye as the fight commenced. He had his reservations about the cocky man from the beginning with his attitude, but he could see that Johnny was still a somewhat skillful fighter. He dodged the acidic spew from Reptile and drove his fists into the Saurian with such accuracy and preciseness that eventually overwhelmed the Saurian.

Johnny stood over the unconscious body of Reptile as the monks under Shang Tsung brought the fallen Outworlder away. The victory only made him more confident as he mocked the Outworlders and flirted with Sonya, who only wrinkled her nose in disgust.