Chapter 5: Renegade Warrior

I'm on the front line,

Don't worry I'll be fine

The story is just beginning.

I say goodbye to my weakness

So long to regret...

- Shinedown, "Diamond Eyes"
_________________________________________

Seven Years Later...

Kuai exhaled, his cold breath materializing in the wind through the silver mask covering the lower half of his face.

He stood still as a statue, taking slow, near-unmoving breaths as he stared down the scope of his sniper rifle. Breathe, he told himself. He was a panther lying in wait for it's prey to make it's final, fatal mistake.

Below, the streets of New York blared loudly as vehicles drove past the building that Kuai was at. He stood at the edge of the roof in his dark, black leather jacket with the navy blue undershirt and black jeans. He also wore a belt with many weapons attached to it, just in case. "Thirty degrees north," he muttered under his breath to himself. "Wind speed of fifteen miles per hour, adjust."

He waited, patiently.

Finally, the window that the scope was latched onto showed movement. Kuai's eyes slightly narrowed as he stared at the target he had been hired to assassinate. The target - a man in a fancy white suit - was shouting on the phone. Taking a deep breath in, Kuai double-checked his measurements before he exhaled, squeezing the trigger of the rifle.

The sound of the shot was muffled by the silencer at the end of the firearm, and Kuai watched through the scope as the bullet breached the window, burying itself into the target' brain. Blood coated the window, but Kuai saw the man fall to the ground, lying lifeless on the ground with a blank stare.

Satisfied that the deed was done, Kuai retrieved his phone from his back pocket of the jeans and texted his employer: "Done". He got an instant notification from his bank, letting him know that the money had been transferred to his account - a total of $800,00. The amount was a little bit smaller than the average that Kuai would normally receive in these "jobs", but he didn't complain.

He began to pack up his rifle, disassembling it on the rooftop and making sure that there was no evidence to suggest that he was there. He descended the building from the fire escapes on the sides, somersaulting down until he landed on his feet in a crouch, standing up in the alleyway he had landed in.

_________________________________________

Before Kuai had found himself in New York, he had to find a way to get from Asia to the United States. Of course, he couldn't do so without passport for himself and Satoshi, as well as cash.

So, to earn the money he needed, Kuai started accepting jobs by blacklist employers to take out crime bosses and mafia leaders. He had become a mercenary. While he had been upset at first, he grudgingly began to accept it as the pay was excellent. Besides, with every assignment he took, he would preemptively check the target's identity. If the target dealt with criminal activities or committed other crimes, Kuai would take the job.