Chapter 4: The Tragedy

I don't know where you're going,

But do you got room for one more troubled soul?

I don't know where I'm going,

But I don't think I'm coming home

And I said I'll check in tomorrow if I don't wake up dead.

This is the road to ruin, and we're starting at the end.

- Fall Out Boy, "Alone Together"
_________________________________________

Five Years Later...

Kuai crouched low in the grass, making sure to ensure that he was hidden

He slowly moved through the woods, looking down to the ground to identify the places to put his feet to avoid making any noise. He stared at person who was standing on Shirai Ryu territory, wandering around aimlessly. Kuai had come across this person in his morning sweep of the territory, and he ensured that he remained out of sight.

Kuai burst out of the bushes, sweeping up the person - a small boy - in his arms. The child squealed in joy, laughing loudly as he was spun around in the air.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" Kuai asked the child, setting him down on the ground. "I know that you dislike the art class, but the teachers are teaching you how to read and write, which is important."

"But Uncle Kuai!" Satoshi complained. "The teacher is mean! He got mad when I accidentally spilled milk on Sara."

"Are you already causing trouble?" Kuai teased, holding onto Satoshi's hand as he led his nephew back to the village

"Are you already causing trouble?" Kuai teased, holding onto Satoshi's hand as he led his nephew back to the village. "It's your first day, Satoshi. Have you made any friends, yet?"

Satoshi shrugged. "Not really." He kicked at a tree root with disinterest. "I don't really want to talk to anyone."

"I understand how you feel," Kuai said. "You know how I became a part of the Shirai Ryu, right?"

The five-year-old boy nodded rapidly. It was one of his favorite stories that Kuai would tell him. "You fought in a tournament and won!" He exclaimed. "Now, you're one of the most respected warriors in the Shirai Ryu!"