Part XIII - Execution

"I can't believe Gallant's being such an asshole," Coco grumbles from her seat beside the piano.

I stop playing as I turn to her.  "For what, wanting to go to the Sanctuary?" I scoff.

"Yeah!  We all know I'm the one who's more worthy of that spot," she declares.

I shrug.  "At this rate, you're both going to be staying here with me."

She sighs.  "Speaking of, what the hell did Langdon do to your wrist?" she asks.

I quickly shake my head.  "Nothing," I hold my wrist up to show her that it now has no bruise on it.

She narrows her eyes.  "I saw what I saw.  Listen, I don't know what's going on between you and Langdon-"

"Nothing's going on between me and Langdon," I scoff.

She raises a brow.  "Oh really?  I'm not blind; I can see the way he looks at you.  It's like he absolutely hates you but at the same time loves you."

"Coco, that's ridiculous-"

"Uh-uh," she shakes her head.  "I can always tell when a guy is into a girl, and let me tell you, Langdon is down bad, and not even he realizes it yet."

I roll my eyes.  "Coco, during my interview he called me an incessant and petty bitch.  I highly doubt that's out of love."

"Many people who can't accept the fact that they love somebody push the feelings down by being a bitch to the person they've caught feelings for," she states.  "And that's exactly what Langdon's doing.  Tell me, haven't you two shared any intimate or romantic moments at all?"

I go silent for a few seconds, recalling the few times that we kissed.  I never gave them much thought, especially the first time since that just seemed like a heat-of-the-moment thing, but maybe I was wrong.  I mean, I did feel something during our second kiss.  Did that actually mean something?

I quickly look back up at an expectant Coco.  "No," I state firmly.

She scoffs.  "I saw you hesitate."

"What did Gallant say when you tried to propose that he should let you go to the Sanctuary?" I interrupt, hoping to get her off track.

My plan works; she immediately begins ranting about Gallant.  "He said that I was being a selfish, petty bitch and that nobody deserves that spot less than I do.  You know what I think?  I think he's jealous because he knows that I have a way better shot than him."

I chuckle.  "You know, I think you should try to talk to him.  Make yourself seem less selfish and petty.  Maybe then he'll actually consider compromising."

She ponders the thought for a bit.  "It's not a bad idea," she shrugs.  "Although it will require a bit of acting."

"Come on, Coco; acting can't be that hard for someone who grew up with the children of the most famous actors in LA.  You'll be fine."

She smirks as she fixes her hair.  "I suppose I am a good actress."

I turn back to the piano.  "There you go.  Now go work out your Gallant issue."

She smiles as I resume my song.  "Thanks, Valentina."  She runs from the room, assumedly on her way to find Gallant.

I sigh as my fingers go across the keys, playing "Sara" from memory.  

After a minute, I realize somebody is standing in the doorway.  "I know you're there," I call out, pretty positive that it's Michael.

My suspicions are confirmed when Michael's voice answers me.  "I don't know what I find more surprising: the fact that you like Fleetwood Mac or the fact that you just acted as a peacemaker in Coco and Gallant's argument."