Part XXV - The Beginning

I sigh as I push through the street performers, vendors, and pickpockets of Venice Beach.  The LA sun constantly shines bright on this place, and today is no exception.  Of course, with the good weather comes the clueless tourists.

"Watch where you're going!" I shout at a skateboarder who narrowly misses me.  He not so much as acknowledges me.

I roll my eyes as I check my pockets, making sure my phone and wallet are still there.  I begin walking down the sidewalk again, but I come to an abrupt halt as I catch sight of someone ahead of me.

She's wearing a long black flowy dress with a gold flower crown.  Her wavy brown hair hangs past her shoulders, blowing in the wind.  She looks like any other girl that you'd seen on Venice Beach on any given day, but something about her is familiar to me.  Her face wears a haunted and weary look, as if she's been through shit beyond imaginable.  

As I'm standing frozen on the sidewalk, a boy bumps into me, shaking me from my stupor.  I quickly turn and grab his arm.  "Give me my fucking wallet before I break your wrist," I snap, not being in the mood to deal with another pickpocket.

His eyes go wide as he pulls my wallet out of his pocket.  "Jesus," he mutters, dropping the wallet into my waiting hand.

"Get lost, asshole," I roll my eyes, releasing his arm and giving him a harsh shove.

I put my wallet into my front pocket as I turn to walk towards the girl.  She is still standing on the same spot in the middle of the sidewalk, her gaze transfixed on me.

She watches me approaching her and waits to speak until I am standing in front of her.  "I think you just gave that pickpocket the scare of his life," she smiles.

"Do I know you?" I ask, not bothering to be polite.  "I mean, normally if I see a stranger staring at me in the middle of the sidewalk, I'd just ignore it, but I feel like I've met you before."

"Trust me, we aren't strangers," she chuckles.  "Can we talk?"

"We are talking," I respond skeptically.  I feel like I can trust her, but I never let my feelings get in the way of common sense.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she shakes her head.  "I forgot to introduce myself.  My name's Mallory." 

She extends her hand and I take it warily.  As soon as our hands make contact, my skin jolts from electricity and memories flash through my mind.  I see the nuclear apocalypse, Outpost 3, Mallory and Coco, the witches, and most of all, Michael Langdon.

I gasp as I jump back and withdraw my hand.  

"Did you see everything?" Mallory asks anxiously.

I nod, breathing in shakily.  "You, Venable, witches, Michael, everything."  I pause to let everything sink in before I realize that my last memory was attempting to bind my lifeline to Michael's.  I snap my head back up to Mallory, the relief flooding in.  "Holy shit, my lifeline spell worked!" 

She smiles and nods.  "It did.  You saved me."

I smile as I run forward and crush her in a hug.  "I can't believe it!" I exclaim as I pull away to look her up and down.  "God, you look so good when you aren't in that horrible Gray outfit!  Wait, where's Coco?  Michael?  The witches?"

She chuckles.  "The witches are in New Orleans.  Michael should be at his grandmother's house, about to get thrown out.  I came to this point in the timeline because it's where he's going to be most vulnerable."

"Can we transmutate to him?  Do I still even have my powers?" 

She shrugs.  "Only one way to find out," she suggests as she extends a hand.